8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 FAULT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 FAULT
Christopher Gillan
Junior

- posted May 28, 2009 08:13 AM      Profile for Christopher Gillan   Email Christopher Gillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys has anyone had problems with the takeup not working on the GS1200.when the problem happens the payoff is not work ether
it would appear the relay RY301 is playing from the checks i have made.Does anyone know if a replacement is avalable.

Thanks Chris.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 28, 2009 11:04 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris,
Yes it sounds like a relay problem. I had the same issue with one of my GS1200's - sometimes the take up would work alright, other times it would come to a dead stop in the middle of a film, spilling it all over the floor! Anyway, the fix is to replace that relay. Kevin has in the past recommended cleaning the relay contacts, but either way you have to pull out that main board to get at it. You will need the GS1200 service manual to carry out this repair (available from Old Time Camera in the UK).
Leon Norris in Norristown Pennsylvania can supply you with a new relay. Give him a call in the USA at 610-275-1225.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 28, 2009 02:28 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to pull the main board out. There is just enough room to get a soldering iron in with a solder pump and clear each of the connections. The holes are quite big so that when you have removed the solder the relays just lift out.

I cleaned mine quite a while a go and so far the problem has not recurred.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Christopher Gillan
Junior

- posted May 28, 2009 03:57 PM      Profile for Christopher Gillan   Email Christopher Gillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Paul & Kevin.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2009 11:21 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this problem; after Bill Parsons fitted new relays and gave the machine a thorough overhaul, it was literally running like a brand-new machine. Well worth every penny!

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2009 02:04 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

When you mention to clean the relay,
does are you saying that the plastic cover open up and then
it is sprayed with a tuner cleaner? [Confused]

Please describe

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC