8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » EUMIG S938 on ebay.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EUMIG S938 on ebay.
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 07:25 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After all the good things forum members have said about Eumigs in the past, this seems like a promising buy so far...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EUMIG-S938-STEREO-SOUND-SUPER-8-CINE-MOVIE-PROJECTOR_W0QQitemZ160393855582QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories?hash=it em255838025e

What do you guys think?

Anyone know the seller...by any chance a forum member?

Must say I am tempted to start bidding...

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2010 12:12 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only a couple of days left on this.

How does this compare to the 940.

Do you guys think this is a good buy?

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2010 12:20 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've bought a 16mm projector from this guy and it was fine. He always seems to get good prices for his sales.
He also always describes the machine as being ideal for cine transfer because they have variable speeds even though most of them don't!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 18, 2010 04:55 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob,
The 938 is my favourite projector - and I have two GS1200'S! It has a 150 watt lamp, so it is not quite as bright as the GS, and it takes 800ft reels, but IMO the stereo sound quality and film steadiness of the 938 is superior to the GS. The 938 threads flawlessly, and is very gentle on film, it will never scratch.
Mechanically the 938 and 940 are identical. The main differences between the 938 and 940 are:

938 has two beautiful illuminated analogue recording meters. The 940 has a row of green LED lights for recording level.
The 940 is microprocessor controlled for elaborate recording and mixing programming.
The 938 has the f1.3 Eumig lens with optical levelling capability - a useful feature. The 940 has a better quality lens, sans the optical levelling feature.

I would very highly recommmend the 938, and so far the pricing on ebay looks like a bargain.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2010 06:55 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, thanks, always reassuring to know that someone else is a satisfied customer.

Paul, it was your praise of the Eumigs on the forum that initially made me interested in them; thanks for clarifying the difference from the 940, the 938 sounds ideal for me.

I'm running an Elmo ST1200HD and Beaulieu 708EL, but lately the Elmo has become a bit "tired"! I have a few spares for it but it will be a bit of a job to do all the work on it. I'm intrigued by the promise of steady sound from the Eumig as the Elmo has always been a bit temperamental when it comes to wow.

Paul, the seller is stating that this Eumig has a 1.2, 12.5mm lens; do you think that is right on the 938?

If he has just made a mistake (I'll ask him), what is the minimum focal length on the standard f1.3 lens as I'd ideally need a lens of 12.5mm or less to fill my screen.

Thanks again.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 19, 2010 08:23 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know the seller is a forum member - I can't remember who though.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2010 09:19 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, that's good news, thanks Michael.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 19, 2010 09:25 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob,
The lens on my 938 is an f1.3 14-30mm. Don't let that deter you if you really wanted the 12.5mm lens, as the 800 series Eumig lenses can be used in the 900 series machines.
You will find that the 938 is totally free of WOW. You will love that outboard sound console, and the ease of recording on these machines. Ask the seller to verify that track 2 (the balance track) is playing back at normal volume level, as this is the head that wears out first.
Good luck and let us know what you think of the 938.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2010 09:42 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for all your advice, Paul.

I really want it now!!! There are three other bidder so far so I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2010 02:34 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn! Outbid in the last 3 seconds!

Went for £160!

Well, hope the new proud owner enjoys it! [Smile]

Will continue my search for another one...thanks again everyone for your trusted advice. [Smile]

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2010 02:52 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Rob -- It was me who outbid you. I've been looking for this model for ages now so I couldn't let it go and spent more than I planned. Sorry again!

Paul - I am going to need lots of advice when it arrives. I'm looking forward to a stereo projector that won't sratch my films. Wondering if I'll have a problem plugging it in here in the US with the different power supply.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2010 03:04 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aha! Brian, well done sir, fair play!

If it is as good as described I still think you have a bargain. [Smile]

Please let us know how you get on with your new Eumig as I am now intrigued by these projectors and will continue to search for another!

Best wishes and enjoy! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 20, 2010 04:16 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Brian [Smile] , and my condolences to Rob [Frown] . The final price represents very good value for what is an exceptional super 8 stereo projector.
Brian, as far as I know, the Eumig 938 has transformer tappings for all international voltages. Mine has voltage plug positions for 100,110,117,200,220, and 240 volts. In addition there are frequency terminals for 50 and 60 hz. You may also have to switch the drive belt position to a different pulley for 60 hz operation ( I wonder if this is really necessary since the 938 has an excellent speed adjustment control knob, and you could maybe still get 24 fps without switching the belt position)

-

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2010 06:29 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am SO bummed!!!! My Eumig S938 arrived today after waiting over a month for it ... and it looks like someone took a baseball bat to it... the back spindle is completely shattered as is the back take up reel. I really wanted this to work out... and ran home to start using it and recording with it... and when I opened the box... disaster. Now I have to figure out what to do next. [Confused]

Paul - I was wondering if you had the contact information for someone who can fix this projector. I am so upset about what has happened. I left a message for Leon Norris but I have a feeling he has no parts for the Eumig machines so he stays away from trying to repair them. Making matters worse... it sounds like there are all sorts of things rattling around inside when I move the projector around so the damage may be even worse than I was thinking.

[ February 15, 2010, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Brian Hendel ]

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2010 06:54 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, Not sure about Ebay policy but I would send this back to the seller and email him you are sending this back and claim a full refund. If this was an absolute bargain you could think about repairing it for a second machine, but not the price you paid for it.

What was the packing like?

Graham S

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2010 04:20 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul - Still hoping to hear from you about a repair person for this machine. I know you love this particular model and probably have had yours serviced at one point.

Graham - I just started communicating with the seller... the packing was OK .. could have been a little better. The box was really kicked around by careless FEDEX people. The problem is it was not insured. So we are going to have a long hard battle getting FEDEX to cover it. The shipper has offered to fix it -- but shipping it both ways again is going to be crazy expensive.
That's why I am looking in getting it repaired here in the States and hoping to have the repair costs covered by FED EX somehow. I just can't believe this has turned into a nightmare project that is going to go on for weeks/months.

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2010 05:37 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian

This type of breakage on 900 series Eumigs is often unfixable & the machine may need to be scrapped. The most vulnerable are the co-axial versions like the 926 GL & the 905, 910 , 912 etc.
The take up arm is mounted in a rubber grommet type of bush that sits inside a cast hole that is part of the main chassis casting.

During transport, any knock to the spindle area can do serious damage. I have experienced this disaster more than once when ebay machines arrived in the post at Projector Heaven. It is very distressing to find this has happenned when proper packing would have prevented it. They need special protection around the rear spindle especially co-axial ones.

The cast hole in the chassis is often snapped off clean, meaning that there is not much that can now be done except use it for spares. Welding or gluing is not an option as I have tried that without luck.

If the arm is now very loose then its probably snapped the cast mounting hole.

Hope I am wrong,
good luck with it...

dogtor frankarnstein

[Frown] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 16, 2010 07:41 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

I'm currently on the road without your contact info. Please send me an e-mail so I can reply.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2010 08:52 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, this is really sad news [Frown]

I'm so disappointed for you.

Really hope you can find a way to fix it...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC