8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Here is other Marketing Films printed on AGFA (other than "Raiders of the lost Ark")

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Here is other Marketing Films printed on AGFA (other than "Raiders of the lost Ark")
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 22, 2010 10:56 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

What I knew that Marketing Films only used AGFA on it last print, Raiders of the lost Ark. Other than that, for single reel or 3 reeler, they will be on Kodak SP, resulting brownish side now. The full feature is even worst because some on Eastman stock, having they are reddish now.

But I accidentally I found this screen shots from Ebay of War of the Worlds and here are the pictures:

-

-

and this must be from Marketing release as the leader shows:

"INT.4164-3" which is that the catalog # for this title.

-

This is new to me. Making me eagerly to have more Marketing Films release. Their boxes are top notch and my favorite. But the brownish side of Godfather, 10 Commandments, Warriors etc makes me feel hard to collect them.

So anybody can re-assure me that beside "Raiders" there are some other releases from Marketing Films (USA or Germany) that printed on AGFA ?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 11:19 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert, I've a few Marketing prints and none of them are faded. Not sure off the top of my head what stocks they are, though I'm pretty confident they're all polyester stock of some description.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 22, 2010 11:32 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comment. Many Marketing on polyester based as I have some 3 reelers spooled nicely in 800" reels. But if they are from Kodak SP stock, it will fade too.

ps: When the first time I received 10 Commandments I was so happy having seen the sea was so blue. But then 5 years after, the blue has shifted to brownish and I understand that it was on Kodak SP stock.

But the blue, red, green, yellow show on the above pictures are different. It is very strong color and my feeling says they are from AGFA stock. So I need to verify from members here, that indeed beside "raider" there are some other Marketing titles on AGFA too.

Would you mind if you have time to find out the stock used and respective titles please?

regards

--------------------
Winbert

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 11:49 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert, I'll have a look tonight. From what I understand most of Marketings features were on acetate, and the 400ft and 3x400ft cutdowns were on polyester. I could be completely wrong, but that has been my personal experience with these prints.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 12:02 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hi Winbert, I'll have a look tonight. From what I understand most of Marketings features were on acetate, and the 400ft and 3x400ft cutdowns were on polyester. I could be completely wrong, but that has been my personal experience with these prints.

Hi Winbert. Quoting Mark, I'm also quite sure about stock used for all features they printed (acetate); 3*400ft digests were all printed on polyester (maybe I was simply lucky; anybody else in a position to confirm this?) while I'm sure some different stocks were used for 1*400ft ones (if I well remeber, I've had a copy of BARBARELLA on Kodak SP).

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 12:09 PM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Gian. I too must have been very lucky with my prints. I've probably jinxed myself now. You watch, the next Marketing print I get will be a real minger!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 12:25 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah ah ah ah Mark!
Hope it won't  -  -  -  - !!!

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 22, 2010 12:47 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From what I understand most of Marketings features were on acetate, and the 400ft and 3x400ft cutdowns were on polyester.
Hi Mark, yes that is exactly what I was saying, because (as I said above) I only have 3 reeler marketing and "Raider".

But the main focus of this thread is about how the color is held up after years.

I believe (I stand to be corrected) polyester or acetate can fade. So the most important to be noticed is the emulsion whether they are AGFA or Kodak SP. So that is the reason why I am asking if any other Marketing titles on AGFA other than "Raider"

Thanks if you can have a look your films for me [Wink]

regards

--------------------
Winbert

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 01:42 PM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

I've just pulled out three Marketing boxes at random (actually the nearest to hand). They are:
Star Trek the Motion Picture 1 x 400ft promo (1070)
When Worlds Collide 1 x 400ft selected scene edition (417-4)
King Kong 400ft reel (from 3 parter?) (865)

I've looked at the film on all three reels and can't find any stock identification codes running down the side. What I can say though is they are all polyester and all have held their colours in a very vibrant way.

Come to think of it, I do have a 3x400ft of Grease that was changing colour last time we watched it, whereas a 400ft digest we have has maintained perfect colour.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 02:03 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert. Quoting Mark I totally forgot what the thread is about. Sorry.
I actually don't have many Marketing Films anymore in my collection (all digest also available as full features were sold longtime ago), but all still have great color.
None of mine is printed on Agfa, anyway.
Ciao.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 22, 2010 02:20 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
can't find any stock identification codes running down the side.
Not even "AG 2" or sort of thing? ...it's strange [Confused]

quote:
None of mine is printed on Agfa, anyway.
Gian, that is also my experience when received for the first time, I would say that the color was vibrant But after years they turned to be brownish because they are all on Kodak SP (they are left behind in my home country).

However, the blue & green colors on above screen shots has tempted me [Big Grin]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 02:47 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have to admit that print has outstanding color.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 22, 2010 04:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are great colors Winbert! I was admiring the girls dress in the foreground with rich purples and other colors.

I can verify from Andreas Eggling (of that german film site) that the Marketing STAR WARS digests were printed on both Kodak SP and AGFA. Don't know however, whether it was 1S or 2S.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 06:16 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my first round of collecting in the 1990's, I acquired that 3-reel War Of The Worlds. The prior owner had re-recorded it in stereo, and the colors were absolutely perfect, very much like the ones in these pics. (WHY DID I SELL OUT????)

I have two prints of Grease that are Marketing prints, and both are on polyester stock. One has better color than the other, but they worse one is still very watchable, not brown or anything like that.

Now, I do have a 3-reeler of Saturday Night Fever, and it is the brown/red color. Watchable, but I'm still on the lookout for the feature that might be better.

Acetate vs. polyester, I'm thinking it probably depends on when they were printed. I'd assume acetate prints might be older than the polyester prints, and thinking acetate prints were more expensive to strike... at least they are in 35.

Just my two cents....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 23, 2010 01:38 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a few marketing 3 400 films, the first release batch which included Chinatown, godfathers 1&2 saturday night fever and Once upon a time in the west & Marathon man. We noticed now that saturday fever is turning, and regretfully, once upon a time is also showing signs of colour fade as is Marathon man (all be it only on reel one).
I also own two of the second batch of releases which for me is war of the worlds and the the warroirs, these are both still excellent, my 400ft Raiders of the lost ark, although good in colour is not quite as sharpe in picture.
the Full features were proceessed by a ifferent lab and many of these,(i believe) are now fadin. However, we do have the full feature of The mean machine and to date this one still has superb colour with signs no of fade. [Wink]

[ August 28, 2010, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2010 04:23 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Grease has turned.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2010 09:04 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth...my War of the Worlds feature has held its color....but the features of Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown I got year before last had pretty much gone brown....My Death on the Nile was a bit brownish even when new and has stayed about the same as always.

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 04:13 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a long time I thought that all German Marketing prints were struck on Eastman/Kodak stock, and so was the first batch of "Once Upon a Time in The West". But my German 3x400' edition of "Once Upon..." ist on Agfa 3S. Although in the early 1980's, most Marketing prints were sold off at reduced prices, some titles were reprinted - and this one was among them. In German Marketing catalogues, it was stated that all 3x400' polyester editions would easily fit onto a 800ft reel. This is true with all three-parters which were printed on the extremely thin Kodak polyester stock, but not with my print of "Once Upon...": The Agfa polyester stock is somewhat thicker.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 27, 2010 05:06 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eberhard,

Thanks for your reply. So how was your "Once upon..." color condition now? is that as good as the screen shots above?. Is that at par with Gian's full feature of the same film that you can find somewhere in this forum? Would you be able to post your own screen shots please?

Lastly, do you now what stock is used for The Final Countdown (1980) that I knew is the last three parter Marketing Films and was only released in German.

Thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 07:05 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-

[ March 15, 2014, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 27, 2010 02:51 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Just for an update, I finally got the same title "War of the worlds".

I finished to screen it last night but with a bit of disappointment, the colors are not so strong like the picture above.

Here are some screen shot (sorry it was made by mobile phone camera from a distance):

-

-

-

-

[Mad]

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 27, 2010 06:22 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert - I missed this thread earlier this year, but I note that no one has yet been able to answer your question. However, I can confirm that the War of the Worlds 3 x 400' WAS printed on AGFA, I've just checked mine and it says AGFA 1S, and it looks just like the screen shots at the top. This was no surprise to me as I used to have the 400' version, which I also found was AGFA. It would be interesting to know what yours is printed on. I imagine there were other Marketing AGFAs other than Raiders, even though no one has confirmed this yet. I have a 400' of Prophecy that I presumed was AGFA, as it has perfect colour, but I've just checked and much to my surprise it's 1980 Kodak SP.

It's true that polyester is need not be low fade. I've seen badly faded polyester, just as there's low fade acetate.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 27, 2010 08:08 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`ve had 2 copies of True Grit on agfa over the years, thicker stock and both super copies, so they are about, its just hitting the right print !!!!

Best Mark.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 27, 2010 08:50 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Adrian and Mark,

My copy is on Kodak SP.

The same case also for Airplane (3 x 400), Godfather (3 x 400), Godfather 2 (3 x 400), Saturday Night Fever (3 x 400), Grease (3 x 400), Chinatown (3 x 400), Ten Commandments (3 x 400), Steiner (German 3 x 400), Steiner 2 (German 3 x 400)and True Grit (400).

Both Godfathers are badly faded (I think no one has with good colors though), Ten Commandments is used to be good, the rest are like the picture above, i.e colors are still noticeable but a bit brownish.

I guess, I have never been so luckier like you.

Only RoLA that I have on AGFA, yet it has gone faded now [Frown]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Robert Babun
Junior

- posted August 28, 2010 06:29 AM      Profile for Robert Babun   Email Robert Babun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert

I purchased new, four full length features directly from Marketing Films International.

The titles, in the order of acquisition:
"Saturday Night Fever"
"Marathon Man"
"Death On The Nile", and
"The Hunter".

They were purchased over a twelve month period from December 1980.
The first three titles were printed in a New York laboratory on Eastman SP, the fourth title was printed in a German laboratory on Agfa 3S!
I no longer have the films. However, 15 years ago the colour was perfect on all but "Saturday Night Fever"!

The quality of "The Hunter" was outstanding, very sharp focus, rich colours, flawless print with clear sound.

I now only have "Raiders of the Lost Ark", the digest, which is on Agfa 2S, it remains beautiful. However, sharpness, focus and clarity are not as good as the feature films.

My experience is limited to four full length features and one 400' digest.

As an aside, if memory serves: in late 1982 I ordered three more full length films. I was so impressed with the Agfa prints from Germany. I ordered: "The Godfather", "The Godfather II", and "Chinatown".

Unfortunately, no prints were ever shipped. A long, long time later my international bank drafts were sea mailed back to me. The envelopes were stamped "Return to Sender". It was goodbye to a fine distributor. At least I knew finally why there was no response to my attempted phone calls.

I can confirm that later printings of specific full length features were on Agfa low fade "S".

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC