8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New Member- Processing question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Member- Processing question
Chris Lohman
Junior

- posted February 03, 2010 11:40 AM      Profile for Chris Lohman   Email Chris Lohman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

I just got into this super 8 thing. Am a film student who has previously worked with 16mm and miniDV. I bought a Canon 814 and a roll of Vision 3 to work on a small project before I graduate (I'm well aware that the Canon doesn't read a 500T film and am making proper adjustments.) I just have one quick question and one side question?

1. I'm going to shoot one test roll of Vision three with a sekonic in hand just to compare it to my internal meter. Where should I send the roll for cheap processing and a cheap telecine (this is just a test roll, so I don't really need the best yet)? Any recommendations for an economically viable lab for my final processing would be appreciated too! I don't really know much about telecine's but would probably like my work put off to MiniDV... I'm not sure If I need HD at this point, but maybe later.

2. Bonus Question: If you put a 1.5V alkaline battery in a Canon 814 for the light meter when it requires a 1.3V mercury, will there be a substantial difference in readings?

Thank You!

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2010 05:49 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Chris!

I personally have my films transfered at mymovietransfer.com and they do very nice work and I think they are priced good. They don't run the film in projectors but scan frame by frame and do color correction. For the quality of the work you can't beat the price. They transfer over to minidv, dvd or hard-drive.

Check them out. Hope that helps.

Bill

[ February 03, 2010, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

Chris Lohman
Junior

- posted February 04, 2010 12:05 AM      Profile for Chris Lohman   Email Chris Lohman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the recommendation Bill. The price there looks right. Any other labs people know of would be much appreciated.... especially anywhere that processes film and does the telecine.

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2010 04:27 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris!
I think there is ongoing discussion about substitution of the mercury batteries. As you are using negative film, a little difference in exposure can surely be corrected by telecine. If you don't want that, there is still the choice of zinc-air batteries that show about the same voltage as mercury batteries. If the right size is not available, you can do some fiddling with aluminium foil for adjustments!
In the end I have to say: I have got a Leicina standard 8 camera and I could see absolutely no difference in the light meter reading when either using a new zinc-air battery or a new alkaline battery. So the discussions can continue ...

--------------------
Alex

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC