8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Blacksmith scene

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blacksmith scene
Christopher Allison
Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2010 12:19 PM      Profile for Christopher Allison   Email Christopher Allison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever come across this short?
I believe it was originally shot in 35mm in 1893.
Just curious to know if it was ever transferred to 8mm or super 8mm.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 24, 2010 12:26 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUepMcfbbt8&feature=PlayList&p=2B592196B4D90189&index=12

It's a neat piece of film. We're pretty much the first generation that can watch a moving image over a hundred years old like this one. In 20 more years it will be with sound too. Maybe someday people will study "Ancient History" by watching our news reports.

It would have to be part of a compilation, It's too short otherwise. If I had to guess, it would be the kind of film Blackhawk did, but I have no way of knowing whether it was ever released by them, or anyone for that matter.

-great show of late 19th Century occupational safety. Seems they weren't too worried about germs either!

"OK!, I nod my head, you hit it!"

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Christopher Allison
Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2010 01:43 PM      Profile for Christopher Allison   Email Christopher Allison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, 0:38 second clip of three guys forging a piece of metal and all of them sharing one beer.
It's very interesting to see a clip from over 100 years ago.

Yeah, the three didn't seem to care about germs at all.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 24, 2010 02:24 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,

At least if it was beer they had the Alky-Hol working as an antiseptic!

-then there is the issue of three guys swinging hammers in synchronized motion and working with red hot temperatures while drinking beer!

I was at a historical restoration once and this reenactor was portraying an 18th century housewife preparing a meal at a farm house. The meat had flies all over it. This young woman said "Ew! Doesn't that disgust you?" and the "housewife" said "No it doesn't. We don't know about microorganisms."

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC