8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Throw distance question.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Throw distance question.
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 21, 2010 05:48 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a 150w lamp and the Sankyo 1.4 lens, is a bright picture achievable from 22ft or is this too long a throw?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 21, 2010 06:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Michael,

I've thrown about that far with f1.3 and 100W and the picture was bright enough, I think more than anything it's how large a screen you are filling with that light.

If I remember right, when I get that for out, I'm zoomed all the way out to the 25mm end of my lens to fit the image on a 52 inch high screen, any further back I can't stop it from spilling off the screen edges.

One thing I did notice is sounds in the track that the projector's mechanical noise might normally mask become more bothersome with the machine far back and the speaker by the screen.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2010 01:14 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, it is the size of the screen, not the throw that determines picture brightness as Steve says.

eg a 3ft wide picture will be the same brightness if the projector is 10 feet from the screen or 20 feet from the screen.

David

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 22, 2010 03:20 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks fellas - I realise that point about the size of the screen, but there does come a point at which a lamp is just not bright enough.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 22, 2010 08:17 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what you are getting at is the ability of the air to transmit light over a long distance without distorting or dimming the image. This is the same problem that puts telescopes on mountain tops and even up in space. Down here on Earth, sometimes you look at the projector beam and you see all sorts of dust particles drifting through the beam and these are absorbing and scattering light, but it's not a big fraction of it. I would think if you have a room full of people smoking it's worse, but then again I think that by the time it's bad enough to really hurt the quality of the image, it may be a little too thick to breathe!

The lenses I'm talking about are also the standard ones the machines are delivered with. With ones like the Elmo long throw (25-50mm) lens, it should be possible to back up much further and keep the image on a reasonable sized screen.

We did some renovations on our house last year that added the area formerly a back porch to the usable living space of the first floor. This lengthened my longest possible throw from about 18 feet to something close to 30. Most of the time I don’t project any further than I used to because I find If I'm watching by myself in the living room it gets to be quite a commute every time I want to adjust the focus or volume or do a changeover.

I might do it if I was projecting films for other people and hanging around back by the machines anyway.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC