8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Standard 8 Film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Standard 8 Film
David Ian Turner
Junior

- posted March 30, 2010 06:39 AM      Profile for David Ian Turner   Email David Ian Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone
I have a lot of Standard 8 and Super8 films of my family from the 1940s through to the 1980s. I have recently purchased a Eumig Mark 610D Dual 8 silent projector. Generally I am pleased with my purchase. Running Super8 film the picture is very steady. However, the picture from some of my Standard 8 film can be very jumpy. It has been suggested that this may be due to the fact that I have never cleaned or lubricated my films and thus some of the film has shrunk.
In view of this can someone enlighten me on how to clean and lubricate my films?
Also, given the problem I am having with the Standard 8 film and the fact that it is older than my Super8 film, should I look for a dedicated Standard 8 projector with sprockets rather than a sprocketless Dual 8 projector? If so, what would you recommend?
Thank you
David Turner
Morphett Vale
South Australia

|  IP: Logged

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2010 08:16 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I agree that the poor running of your standard 8 films is probably due to them needing lubrication. I use Filmguard which I find works well. A eumig p8 would be a good choice if you want a std 8 only machine. You'll see plenty on Ebay. MIKE

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2010 11:13 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, your film could be jumping for a number of reasons.

You can buy FilmGuard in Adelaide from your local Edge Didital formerlly Atlab Image and Sound) branch. This is where I purchase it from.

I have some very old std 8 film, but have never known it to shrink. I use a dedicated std 8 Bell and Howell projector for running it and it runs very nicely.

David

David Ian Turner
Junior

- posted March 31, 2010 05:50 AM      Profile for David Ian Turner   Email David Ian Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael and David

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I appreciate it.

Thank you especially, David, for the information on where I can get some FilmGuard here in Australia, and here in Adelaide. I will get on to that as soon as I can so I can see whether cleaning and lubricating the film may solve my problem with the projector.

It also appears from other posts on this site that I should try and find a dedicated Standard 8 projector.

David Turner

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC