8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » schmalfilm magazine introduces new Kodak Super 8 film Ektachrome 100D

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: schmalfilm magazine introduces new Kodak Super 8 film Ektachrome 100D
Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2010 03:42 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
In our new issue we are introducing the new Kodak Super-8 Ektachrome 100D and we have an interview with Chris Johnson, the new product manager of Kodak for Origination Films, about the changes in the Super 8 portfolio. There are more new films to come - and Kodak cares about the customers in a new way. This is good news for all Super 8 fans. More on schmalfilm and inside our new issue - unfortunately in German language only. Meanwhile we are the only professionally made magazine for small format filmmakers in the whole world...

|  IP: Logged

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2010 05:02 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....sounds like fab news Juergen, Danke sehr for posting! We can only hail the fact that KODAK are producing new S-8 stock-hope we'll see it in the UK soon....
....btw is there an electronic form of Schmalfilm-a webpage?

--------------------
Yannis

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2010 06:58 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is our website www.schmalfilm.de with an image of the first double pages of every article and a news section. There is no complete pdf of schmalfilm so far... Our readers still love paper! [Wink]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 06, 2010 01:19 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Juergen,

It is surprising for me that Kodak releases new stock for super 8.

Is it on market now? as I checked Dwaynes website 100D is only available for 16mm and regular 8.

SInce I don't speak German, can someone give a brief revie on thsi stock please.

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2010 02:58 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

the stock is new and will be available in May. It's too early for a review.

Juergen

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 07, 2010 09:09 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Juergen,

Noted...and Dwayne just replied that they don't have this stock yet.

But from other members who have used 100D either from Spectra or Regular 8mm, what do you htink the image made from this stock comapred with E64T?

and does 100D mean 100ASA? if so can we use it in indoor with minimum lighting?

regards,

[ April 07, 2010, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2010 10:00 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
D means Daylight stock, you have to switch out the filter inside the camera, for tungsten (indoor) light you need a 80A wratten filter on the lens. 100d has very fine grain, good colours.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2010 07:08 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Juergen, one more question if you know: is the 100D gonna be compatible with all cameras? As far as I know the 64 wasn't...

--------------------
Yannis

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2010 02:18 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes should work in all cameras.

Kodak Manager Chris Johnson is presenting the new E100D in a video in English language. See first News on www.schmalfilm.de

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 08, 2010 09:44 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link Juergen.

(ps: the youtube is quite "touchy" when the end of picture shows 2010 as the mark of production, the gentleman over there is holding 1970s camera....quite differ [Wink] ).

It is quite encouraging for us who still shooting super 8

But the most sensitive thing, ...how much the cartrdige will be sold? E64T is now $17 from Dwyane. If 100D is more expensive, while E64T is no loger produced...it is killing the hobby slowly.

Perhaps you got the leak Juergen...?

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 08, 2010 10:06 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I've always found film direct from Kodak is cheaper than through retail.

The Kodak office in New York can be reached at 1-800-621-FILM. I'm not sure if they service Canada but I bet they know.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 08, 2010 10:28 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have shot with 100D and its a really beautiful film stock. In between Kodachrome and Velvia. I for one will not miss 64T.

[ April 08, 2010, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Alan Rik ]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 08, 2010 11:03 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did one project with 64T. I loved the colors, but the grain was a little much.

My favorite cameras are my Minolta XL-401s (so good I got a second one...). these are 40/160 without the daylight filter and 100/25 with it in. I'm guessing 100D isn't compatible here, but Velvia is. I have other cameras that should work with 100D though.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2010 11:40 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,
the price of E100D will be the same as E64T. This is really good news for the filmmaker! [Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 08, 2010 09:44 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again Juergen,

That is good news!.

One last question, as Kodak will stop producing E64T at 6 months to go, will that mean processing E64T will also be stopped or it uses the same chemical with 100D?

I have enough E64T stock now, but I haven't used it because I have to finish my K40s first. I just hate to rush filming only to chase with the dateline of lab process, like what I am doing now with my last K40s.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2010 12:47 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

64T and 100D both use the exact same chemical process, E6, so as far as the labs are concerned there is no difference between them at all.

No need to rush to finish off your 64T then...

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2010 10:33 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news. This means that lots of cine cameras, not quite able to expose the 64T 100% accurately, can be brought back into service. I used some 100D from another company and it was a superb film. Well done Uncle Kodak!

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2010 03:36 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know which notch on the new 100D cartridge removes the colour correction filter? MIKE

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2010 02:14 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does anyone know which notch on the new 100D cartridge removes the colour correction filter?
The "lower notch"

Please keep in mind that in some cameras the sensor for that notch is only used to detect the film's speed (ASA-value)! You'll still have to manually disable the filter!

Jörg

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 12, 2010 08:47 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really understand about this "notch". Never care about this before. I am just shooting because I love 8mm. But if this will make my picture better, I 'd like to learn.

So, can someone explain me in very-very layman words, please

regards

--------------------
Winbert

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2010 10:31 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

the combination of both notches ("upper" and "lower") is needed for the camera to automatically detect the film's speed (e.g. 25 ASA, 40 ASA, 100 ASA, 160ASA, ...).
The "lower" notch is needed to detect the film's type (Super8 differs only between "daylight" and "non-daylight" (Tungsten)).

The "lower" notch should also prevent the cameraman from accidentally enabling the internal "Wratten 85" filter when having loaded a "daylight balanced film". Reason: The only purpose of a "Wratten 85" filter is to use a "tungsten balanced film" in daylight.
However -when having loaded a "daylight balanced film"- it's best to also manually disable the "Wratten 85" filter as some manufacturer "forgot" to integrate this automatism. (And you wouldn't find any info about this in your manual.)

Jörg

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2010 02:13 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the last days there have been a lot of questions concerning subscriptions of schmalfilm magazine for English speaking readers. Some people suggested to put boxes with short English summaries into each German article. Do you think this would help to get back some former small format readers?

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2010 05:42 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recieved a free copy of the mag in the mail some time ago and I loved it. It was in English. And, I drug my feet signing up for a subscription and the mag was gone...in English anyway. So I would be interested.

Bill [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC