8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Betty Boop on Super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Betty Boop on Super 8
Brian James
Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2010 03:07 PM      Profile for Brian James     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me how many Betty Boop cartoons are out on Super 8 sound?
Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 11, 2010 08:21 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

Ivy Films released these Betty Boop titles in Super 8 sound/color:

Betty Boop for President
Betty Boop's Penthouse
Ha Ha Ha
I'll Be Glad When You're Dead You Rascal You
Minnie the Moocher
Rise to Fame
Snow White

Phil Johnson has these silent 50' Carnival Films available on his site:
Auto Racer Fairy Tales
Rubberland
Magic Mirror
S.O.S.
Betty Boop Express

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brian James
Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2010 12:19 AM      Profile for Brian James     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Douglas, much appreciated

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2010 08:01 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How was the color job on the IVY titles?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 13, 2010 07:19 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I got those titles from an old "Reel Images" catalog. I don't have any in my collecton.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2010 04:49 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Color was excellent in the IVY prints,but a) they are shortened, b) the process has derived them of the subtle details of the original b&w animation. Get them only if you are desperate. Several companies in america and england sold complete b&w prints. BETTY BOOP'S RISE TO FAME, MINNIE THE MOOCHER, PARADE OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS, BETTY BOOP'S MUSEUM. BETTY IN BLUNDERLAND, BETTY BOOP'S SNOW WHITE,BIMBO'S INITIATION, THE DANCING FOOL, PARADE OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS, BOOP-OOP-A DOOP, DIZZY RED RIDING HOOD, NO NO A THOUSAND TIMES NO, BETTY BOOP WITH POPEYE THE SAILOR,CRAZY TOWN,BETTY BOOP LIFEGUARD,KEEP IN STYLE, are the pre-code ones I know that are available. Her only original color appearance, in the "color classic" POOR CINDERELLA has survived,and is available, only in b&w. (Her cameo in WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT? is also in b&w)! A few of her later films with Pudgy and Grumpy are also available,like HAPPY YOU,MERRY ME, MY FRIEND THE MONKEY,HOT AIR SALESMAN, BETTY AND HENRY, BABY BE GOOD, BETTY AND THE LITTLE KING, DING DONG DOGGIE, THE CANDID CANDIDATE, but are not so good.
BETTY BOOP'S BAMBOO ISLE is also available in a colorized print.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2010 03:16 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 'I HEARD' colorized print.

Derann release. They might still have it, in their last catalogue.

Graham S

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2010 03:44 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add ,from Thunderbird, BE HUMAN, BETTY BOOP M.D., BETTY BOOP'S TRIAL, HOUSE CLEANING BLUES, KEEP IN STYLE, MOTHER GOOSELAND.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2010 03:36 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and BETTY BOOP AND LITTLE JIMMY from Jef.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2010 08:57 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why and How are the IVY color prints abbreviated? Why edit them - what are they 6-7 minutes each. What is there to edit?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 21, 2010 11:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too, have a colorized print of "I Heard". One of the good jokes was completely missed by the process.
In the original black/white version the miners are all covered in black "soot" from their coal digging. They go into a shower and come out pristine clear and white for their lunch break. When the hooter blows at the end of lunch they go back through the shower and become once again all-over black before going underground to resume their work.
In the "colour" version they just have different shades of before and after green. Joke missed.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2010 05:18 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwwww, Crap! Forget it! I'll pass. And IVY used to put out some real nice stuff. My copy of "Road To Bali" is really nice and the colors are still pretty decent considering the fact that the prints are over 30 years old.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2010 06:00 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The colorized prints were reduced to approximately five minutes. The first thing to go were the live action appearances of the great musicians who appeared in them. Forget them and go for the b&w ones. They are worthy.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 18, 2011 07:35 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just digging up this old row of posts as one day it would be nice to have a complete list of the re-processed Betty Boop cartoons. As we know the old black & white frames were manually traced onto new cells for the colorization to take place in the 60’s/70’s and apparently to make them more attractive to what would have possibly been a new audience for them in colour. Super 8 Betty fans seem to have been well catered for over the years and hunting down the re-processed films is worth the effort even if they were in fact cut for the television market which was a shame to be sure. The last we collected was ‘I Heard’ which is a joy to view and certainly colourful, excuse the play on words.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 18, 2011 01:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panayotis is quite correct in his post. These bastardized Betty's were done in the 70's and are atrocious. Instead of coloring each and every frame, lets say 24 fps, they would only color perhaps (if you were lucky) 12 fps.

Therefore, all the fine craftmanship of the original films was destroyed in the process. The same was done to many other syudio's B/W cartoons, (Warner Brothers, Columbia, ect).

By all means, if you are A lover of the great Boop, steer clear of all but one of the color Betty's ...

Poor Cinderella

This one was the only Betty made in color by the4 Fleischer studio during thier original run. It was done in the two strip technicolor, but they did a fine job with the range that they had, (never would have thought that Betty's hair was red though!).

It is rather hard to come by, but this cartoon was released in color on super 8. I forget who released it though. You can view it over the internet or download the whole cartoon., It is well worth getting.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2011 10:24 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the colorized "Ha Ha Ha." Live action scenes are cut out, and original titles are gone. I wouldn't show it to guests for sure.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC