8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Canosound PS 1000 newbie question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canosound PS 1000 newbie question
Josh Thomson
Junior

- posted June 01, 2010 04:10 AM      Profile for Josh Thomson   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Thomson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all, I am really enjoying my new found hobby collecting 8mm and super8 stuff, from a young age and now as a professional Writer/Director/Editor/Actor I have always longed for the feel of actual film in my hands and now I am going crazy buying up a lot of stuff I dont know too much about.

Anyhoo, I have a Canon Canosound PS 1000, and finally got a print of a colour/sound movie and feed it into the auto feeder.

Apart from being surprised how loud the damn thing is I got frustrated when the projected image seems to play normally, except every second or so, it seems like a frame slides down the screen, giving a blurry kind of rolling movie

I have finally gotten hold of the manual and there is nothing in there. The still image (when on still) is crisp and focussed, and the frame adjustment lever just moves the image up and down through the gate I guess (sorry, as a digital child im not too sure what everything is properly called)

I searched the forums and found possibly a similar issue here

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005395#000000

but it plays in sync - and this post from Bill Brandenstein seems like the Canosound itself may just be old and maybe the whole thing is going up the wazoo

- from a post on screening room pictures

"Yes, the CanoSound will play badly torn film. It's also fun in the fact that film is steadily projectable from the very first frame, and rewinding/fast forwarding is possible while loaded. But it's quickly developing problems that I don't know how to get fixed, particularly frame registration"

ANYWAYS

- does anyone else have this problem?
- is it called frame registration?
- have i just got a crappy old dunga that has seen its best days

or can i crack the tank open and have a tinker somewheres, maybe with the "claw" (dont actually know what this is)

Or should i cut my losses and pop it on the shelf [Frown]

Any help would be appreciated [Smile]

I can post a little youtube of the projection so you can see what i am dealing with if it would be helpful.

PS - does anyone know where to get filmguard in New Zealand?

--------------------
JOSH THOMSON
www.thedownlowconcept.com

|  IP: Logged

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2010 06:40 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im not familiar with your particular projector, however, my first guess would be that your film path could be dirty causing intermittent problems ( sorry for the pun )

The first thing to check is the film itself - does it always skip at the same frame ? If so there may be some film damage causing the problem.

If the film is undamaged then the side guides are typically responsible for this type of problem - check to see if there are any spring loaded guides that help align the film prior to entering and upon exiting the aperture.

Running the projector with the cover removed so you can visually inspect the film as it is traveling through the projector is also a good means of isolating the problem.

Josh Thomson
Junior

- posted June 01, 2010 07:30 AM      Profile for Josh Thomson   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Thomson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried 3 films on the projector, and all react the same way, its not a single point in any film, but a continuouos sliding thing

will try the path guide thing

and thanks!

--------------------
JOSH THOMSON

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2010 07:35 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like it isn't forming the film loop properly.

You say that you have the manual. Are you meant to press something down before or while you load the film?

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Josh Thomson
Junior

- posted June 01, 2010 10:15 PM      Profile for Josh Thomson   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Thomson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I did read in a post somewhere that some projectors have buttons that you hold down while it is loading.

This one has a dial that you turn to LOAD, then STILL, PROJECT, FF, REWIND blah blah, so it is definitely turned off autoload.

Unless anyone else knows?

--------------------
JOSH THOMSON

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2010 12:09 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Josh, my PS-1000 was "new old stock" from a camera store, and in about 70 hours of use has become impossible to frame as though the claw has bent itself over time. (The frame adjust slider won't go any higher but it needs another 20%!) It also doesn't always start for me -- the belt just spins on the motor's wheel, until I give a reel a spin or stop and retart the motor. There's so much tension on the belt from the projector mechanism that it seems like it takes a ton of effort to get everything moving. And the complexity of the belt scheme is unbelievable. Once it breaks, end of projector. The other problem I've dealt with is the replacement of a couple of failed electrolytic capacitors that made the sound have a loud hum.

But none of these resemble your rolling frame issue. I've seen this once, and once only: a severely torn stretch of film forced the projector to "lose" its place, and once the frame rolled over, it continued fine.

I think the claw mechanism in your machine is rather suspect, and have no information on how to adjust it. It sounds as though the claw is unable to grip the film sufficiently. However, something impeding the free movement of the film in the path could also be responsible.

Do make sure that the film path is unobstructed by dirt or torn pieces of film. I mention the latter because a jam and tear in this machine is nightmarish to clear. (Tweezers required, at the least.) Naturally, cleaning is just as convenient - NOT. Take everything apart you can. I force alcohol-soaked Q-tips into the film path area for the short distance I can, and also access a little of it from the lens barrel area. Pop off the cover over the lamp area and you can access more of the film path. The metal cover over the sound there. But getting all that removed, plus a good flashlight, will give you a glimpse into the lower loop area. Pay careful attention that nothing is caught in there. If so, clearing that might just fix your problem!

That's a dandy little machine, but the novelty of it outweighs its reliability, to be sure.

We've never heard of anyone with servicing information like a service manual, and the only currently known service shop here in the states is now closed. Should you find anyone there who has knowledge of this machine (or anyone else, anywhere!!!), please post!

Good success to you, Josh.

Josh Thomson
Junior

- posted June 07, 2010 07:42 PM      Profile for Josh Thomson   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Thomson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thanks to you all for your replies, i will get wrist deep in the machine this weekend and let you know how it all pans out

thanks

--------------------
JOSH THOMSON

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2010 06:38 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Josh-

I'm also an owner of the Cano-sound PS1000. Its quite an interesting machine. While actual quality of the projector is good, the interior design is lacking. Its certainly not easy to tinker with, because everything is packed so tightly in the projector. And as Bill said, the belt system is crazy. I sent my projector in for a broken belt repair, and they kept it for over a year! (Unfortunately, that repair shop has now closed).

And Bill, mine also needs that little "push" to get going some times, either by a little hand-turn of the reel, or a push on the shutter wheel with a pencil.

Still, there's something special about this little machine, and I can't seem to part with it. I mostly use it for small test screening, right in place on the shelf.

Not a bad looking little projector either! [Cool]

James.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC