8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8MM Sound Projectors? BOLEX? Opinions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8MM Sound Projectors? BOLEX? Opinions?
Brian Paul Cook
Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2010 10:39 PM      Profile for Brian Paul Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I have had the worst luck (it probably isn't luck at all) with getting a decent operating Super 8mm Sound machine. When I was much younger in the seventies, I had a Eumig which seemed to me to be pretty decent. So when I recently got back into the hobby, I bought a Eumig 600 series, then a Eumig 960, then another 960 to replace that one in tradeback, then an Elmo 6000M which I am currently using but it keeps on making clattering sounds while playing most films and usually decides not to play 600 foot reels all the way to the end. When I put new belts in it, it worked for about a month, then back to its current state. I was told the Elmo's were the cats meow. I am currently awaiting a 1200 HD to try. The prior Eumigs all had various problems, like clattering and chewing and fan motors. So anyway, I know Ebay is a vast graveyard for old broken down machines and is like playing the game "WHO DO YOU TRUST?", but I am sorta, kinda at a loss. I was told recently that Bolex made great lasting projectors all through their line and that their sound projectors were of the same quality as their silent models.

First, does anyone know if this is true about the Bolex, and then I am willing to at least listen to anyone kind enough to respond to this plea for direction. I might add that I know Phil who has a website offers quality machines, but they appear to be really really expensive. Is more money the answer?
Thanks in appreciation ahead of time,
Brian Cook

--------------------
Brian Paul Cook

|  IP: Logged

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2010 12:02 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are not real handy around fixing a machine,I would leave Elmos alone,the older Bolexs are pretty cranky and the later ones are Eumigs.For easy running machines,I would say try a Bauer or a Sankyo,even A GAF 2000S or 3000S

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC