8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » WANTED: 1.0 LENS FOR BOLEX/EUMIG PROJECTORS?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WANTED: 1.0 LENS FOR BOLEX/EUMIG PROJECTORS?
Brian Paul Cook
Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2011 12:02 AM      Profile for Brian Paul Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for a 1.0 lens, which I have heard from reputable sources does exist, that will fit on my Bolex SP 8 SPECIAL Super 8mm Sound projector. I was told by a friend that a 1.0 lens made for KODAK projectors will fit on this model and most of the later Eumig and Eumig made projectors. Can anyone help me out with any info on this or the lens itself? I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thank you. Brian Cook shadowranch@comcast.net

--------------------
Brian Paul Cook

|  IP: Logged

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2011 02:12 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian
I have a Bolex SM-80 Super 8 sound projector that must be similar to yours.
Actually a Eumig 800 series thats been rebadged by Bolex & they changed a few things to make it look different.
The lens is a Bolex Hi Fi 1:1.2 / 12.5 - 25mm.
Is yours the same or do you have the 1:1.6 17-32mm Hi Fi Bolex Lens.
I have found the Bolex lens together with the 100w Osram Xenophot Lamp to be a good combination, putting out a much brighter & sharper picture than I expected. Its great for Black & White films.

A really good Super 8mm 2 Track Sound Movie Projector with superb sound output & very sharp & bright picture.

dogtor frankarnstein [Wink]

[ February 06, 2011, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 06, 2011 04:10 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don’t know if this is of use but I have one spare 22mm f/1.0 lens, the sort I have used to slip into the lens barrel to replace the old Eumig/Bolex elements. It creates a good prime lens ideal for squeezing the best from Standard 8mm films and the Eumig.

PS: This is the Kodak lens by the way.

Brian Paul Cook
Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2011 05:08 AM      Profile for Brian Paul Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to both of you for the info.
Lee, so this lens fits snugly into the Eumig and Bolex models and is a good quality 1.0 lens? If so, what are you thinking of as an asking price with shipping for the lens? I am interested if this is going to get me the most from my Bolex Super 8 sound machine.
thanks for your help and please advise.
Brian cook

--------------------
Brian Paul Cook

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 06, 2011 05:26 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Brian
To adapt your old lens which in my case was a Eumig 1.3 as shown you will need to be prepared to strip out the old lens units and adapt the lens barrel. Ideally you need to also find a lesser lens first and strip it out so you can retain your old original lens intact. This I did so that I had a quality and noted prime lens which I still use for larger audiences with good results. My own lens was fitted snugly into the old barrel by carefully and evenly winding black insulation tape around it making two rings, one at the front and one nearer the end. It was then tested in the projector and finally secured with a little epoxy resin in the barrel.

If you are looking to do a more professional job find a model engineer who can tool you up a nice brass sleeve to mount the lens into, but over the years I have adapted so many lenses from 35mm down to 8 in this way for myself and others they work out very well indeed.
 - The picture show the Kodak F/1.0 and a standard Eumig F/1.3

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 06, 2011 09:30 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also use the Kodak 1.0 lens that Lee describes. I had to get the lens barrel turned down at a professional machine shop in order to fit it into my Eumig 938 Stereo. But it was well worth the effort, as the picture quality with the Kodak f1.0 22mm lens is amazing. Better than any other lens that I have ever used, including the Elmo f1.0 zoom. It raises the performance of the Eumigs to a whole new level.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Brian Paul Cook
Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2011 02:51 PM      Profile for Brian Paul Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee,
Thanks again. I have two 1.3 lenses, so I could use one of them to hollow out. Would you do the work for me if I sent you the lens and whatever you would ask to adapt it? I am not the most adept at these things as I have recently had major eye surgery (retinal detachments) in both eyes and am limited on what I can do. Or if you can direct me to someone who could help, I would apreciate it.
Thanks again, and at the least I would be interested in purchasing the lens from you. Sincerely, Brian Cook

--------------------
Brian Paul Cook

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC