8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Overly red devloped film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Overly red devloped film
Ross Brookes
Junior

- posted February 11, 2011 01:02 PM      Profile for Ross Brookes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I have been reading this forum for a little while now as I have only recently become interested in shooting on film, but this is my first post.

I have recently sent three standard 8 reels off to be processed. They were all ASA colour 100 from the same supplier. However, one of the reels has come back how I can only describe as looking very red. When projecting it it is almost like black and white accept it is black and red, and no other colours are there, if that makes any sense. This is a real shame as the other 2 reels look great and full of colour.

I wondered if any of you more experienced guys could give me an insight into why this might have happened?

I have searched the forum and cannot see any similar posts but if I have missed this being discussed before please just redirect me! Thanks in advanced!

|  IP: Logged

Kirkamus Anderson
Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2011 01:16 PM      Profile for Kirkamus Anderson   Email Kirkamus Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any chance of a light leak? Without seeing the footage or a screen shot it's kind of hard for me to diagnose. Maybe others have heard of this before.

Was the film new?

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2011 01:18 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ross, and welcome.

First off, what kind of film? Kodachrome? Ektachrome?

How old were the films?

Possibilities include: a long outdated roll of film, or a roll that has been stored badly before/after shooting (high heat or such.)

It could also have gotten light-struck along the way (exposed to daylight.)

The lab could have made a mistake.
However, given the relatively small loads of Standard-8 that get processed these days, one can reasonably imagine that the three films went into the same 'bath.'

If you give a bit more background, we may be able to give you some more accurate advice. It's always frustrating to get something like that back, especially with two good rolls.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Kirkamus Anderson
Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2011 01:23 PM      Profile for Kirkamus Anderson   Email Kirkamus Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea I agree with Claus. Just to clarify. You had three rolls developed. Std 8 is shot 16mm then split into two 8mm reels.
Is only one split of those 8mm messed up? Or are both splits from the reel red?

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2011 03:04 PM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the 'red' film shot indoors under tungsten lighting?

The 100 ASA stock was probably Ektachrome 100D, which is daylight balanced. Stuff shot under tungsten/indoor lighting would normally come out looking very very red.

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 11, 2011 03:11 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The 100 ASA stock was probably Ektachrome 100D, which is daylight balanced. Stuff shot under tungsten/indoor lighting would normally come out looking very very red.
Brat, Probably we could also say, shooting Ektacrome 100D with filter on will come very very red

@ Ross, please understand that majority of cameras come with internal filter no 85 (orange/ but some people may see it as red) to compensate tungsten film. Because we don't have any more tungsten film in the market so only Ektachrome 100D now avalable which is daylight. Therefore you have to disable the filter when shooting outdoor, otherwise if will be red.

--------------------
Winbert

Ross Brookes
Junior

- posted February 11, 2011 07:39 PM      Profile for Ross Brookes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow thanks for all your fast replies.

This is what all 3 reels were:
 -

I bought them all at the same time from the same website and all of the tins had "Jan 12" stamped on them, which is the date I bought them, so I don't really know how old they are.

All three were stored in the same place before and after shooting.

Both splits from the reel are red.

It was shot outside in daylight. I have shot in the same conditions on one of the other reels and it came out fine. One of my other reels was shot indoors under tungsten lights which came out slightly Orange, but the reel I am talking about is definitely red.

Here is a screen shot from when I roughly performed my own telicine using a camera pointed at the projector screen.
 -

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help!

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2011 02:33 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

the "CineChrome 100D" should contain "Kodak Ektachrome 100D". I haven't got a clue how you managed to get those red&black-pictures. Unless you've been filming through a red filter, I can only think of a problem at Kodak or in the lab. [Confused] (Your result looks a little bit like the photos taken with the "Rollei RedBird" film.)
However I hope that you didn't bought this film in "Jan 12", as it's still "Feb 11" on my calendar [Big Grin]

Jörg

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC