8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Lee's Cameras Ltd. Closing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lee's Cameras Ltd. Closing
Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2011 07:15 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every so often I check on their website, and was sorry to see that Lee's Cameras in the U.K. was closing. I bought a few very nice super 8 films from them over the years. [Frown]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 12, 2011 08:34 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that. I never bought from them online, but I remember both of their former shops in Holborn, which were unique in offering projectors and films in that part of London.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 13, 2011 01:37 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression they had ceased trading, even on ebay, some time back. I seem to remember a similar thread to this a while back. Perhaps, I'm mistaken.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 13, 2011 05:37 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Used to call in at the shop in my way home from school and have a look at the projectors and films. Such fond memories.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2011 05:39 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always sad to see another film dealer go.

That said, I think think Lee's deserves a well earned thank you and congratulations for continuing to trade in cine all these years.

Thank you Lee's [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2011 06:04 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought all Lee's Cameras 8mm films last year, he only had equipment left to sell then.

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2011 08:11 AM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been shopping at Lee's for more years than I like to admit starting with their shop at Kings X then the Angel then Camden town before their move to Holborn and I have even visited Hendon to pick stuff up.
It's a real shame that the old shops that provided support to us collectors have virtually all gone.I recently heard that Mac's cameras in west london that still had some cine stuff to browse and buy had closed. Doesn't seem that long ago that there were a dozen or so shops across London that were worth a visit can only think of Umit's now.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 13, 2011 06:22 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, so many memories...
I remember their shop just outside of the Camden Town tube station. I think it closed in 1995. Each time I was in London, I was paying them a visit. You could purchase brand new Universal 8 400ft, still sealed, for 12 GBP. A lot of my U8 collection comes from Lee's Cameras.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC