8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GAF Sound Projectors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GAF Sound Projectors
Brian Paul Cook
Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2011 12:00 AM      Profile for Brian Paul Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I picked up a GAF 2000S sometime back from member and nice guy John Black. I am surprised I can't find any more than just the minimal amount of info on the GAF series of projectors... and was interested to find out if anyone had any info on the additional models...what were the top of the line models? Did they all have 150 watt bulbs? What were the positives and negatives about the GAF's? Did any of them have a higher quality lens than just a 1.3?
Thanks for any help you can give me. Brian GAF SOUND PROJECTORS

--------------------
Brian Paul Cook

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 02, 2011 05:10 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian
Here in the UK the Gaf sound projector was sold mainly under the brand name of Chinon in the high street store Dixons. They offered up a couple of models in the same chassis as you have now, then eventually turned out quite a reasonable machine in the Chinon 8000 was the most common of all the models looking similar to your Gaf but with recording features. Quite a number of our cine club members in the 70’s used these machines and although by today’s standards they were a little brutal to film at the time they were a popular choice due to being readily available from the high street. I did see a Gaf sound machine in use once at a Cine Club we visited when the lamp blew mid show. As expected from our club then one member shouted “he’s blown the gaff” and we fell about. It’s a British thing that by the way..

The Chinon 8000 machines seem to go on forever and your Gaf 2000S although with lesser features will I am sure do exactly the same. Extremely reliable, solid and built to last although as I say can be a bit rough on film so handle with care.

A local chap some years ago asked me to convert his to a 2 blade shutter which is quite simple with these machines and does give a welcome increase in light for 24fps shows. If you still want to improve further its worth using the old lens barrel, inserting a better lens into it. Hope this little insight helps.
[Smile]
PS: The Gaf 3000S is the same machine as the Chinon 8000

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC