8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bell & Howell 346A - Buy or Pass?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell & Howell 346A - Buy or Pass?
Eric W. Cook
Junior

- posted May 28, 2011 01:02 PM      Profile for Eric W. Cook   Author's Homepage   Email Eric W. Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, an opportunity has come up to purchase a very nice looking, used Bell and Howell 346 A - Ser. CG-25165 Super 8, Auto Load.

Is this a machine worth having or worth avoiding?

Any advice would be welcome.
Eric

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 28, 2011 01:10 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric

This is always a touchy question. Some people like Chevy's and some like Ford's etc. I will say this about B&H they are built like tanks. That's why they are so heavy. That particular series of projectors was well made and ran well. If the price is right I would buy it. Now for the next opinion [Confused]

Good luck [Big Grin]

Pat

[ May 28, 2011, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Pasquale DAlessio ]

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2011 07:47 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I sold one on Ebay for around $50. I pick them up at garage sales every now and then for as little as $5. Sometimes they need some work. I think you can get a much better projector on Ebay for $50 like a Bolex. I agree with Pat, they are well built projectors. They are very common so don't pay a lot for it unless they can assure you that it is in great working condition. One problem with them is the cost to replace the bulb, they are around $25 to $35. As much or more than you can pay for the projector.

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2011 10:29 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I do admire about B&H is that series of projectors and most of their projectors prior to 1970 had a drive belt that was designed to last a lifetime.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 01, 2011 09:36 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
had a drive belt that was designed to last a lifetime.
Thomas, unfortunately there is no such thing.

Belt is belt...made from rubber. Rubber has a lifetime...

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2011 09:45 AM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 1963 B&H has the original belt, looks great , runs great. The belt appears to be 4 to 6 times thicker than the average belt on a super 8 projector....
Also, I have never heard of anyone having to replace the drive belt in a Bolex M8 (1951-59)...most people assume they do not have one...but they do.

Chris Punzi
Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2011 01:27 PM      Profile for Chris Punzi   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Punzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to add to this old thread... I have a B&H 346a which I got with a camera and screen for 20 dollars. I used it a few times and it worked great. Then the fan snapped off where it was mounted, or the collar came loose, or something. There was no breeze and there was a horrible metal squealing/shrieking sound. So I pulled it apart and there it was. I tried loosening the collar but to no avail, I stripped the set screw (that S.O.B. was tight!) So as a last ditch effort I put about 5 rubber bands twisting around the fan and shaft to hold it in place... Works great! This thing just keeps on going. When I pulled it apart there was only one belt to mess with, and it was in great shape, probably the original one too.

The bulb (DJL) in this guy is definitely not as bright as my Elmo St 1200D, but the projector itself is a hell of a lot simpler and less touchy than the elmo. The B&H has never eaten a leader off my film, but the elmo has eaten 3. I would say that this projector is definitely worth having, especially if you shoot your own silent films at 18 fps.

--------------------
-Chris

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC