8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » UltraPan8 full resolution 2080x870x24 uploaded.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UltraPan8 full resolution 2080x870x24 uploaded.
Nicholas Kovats
Junior

- posted August 09, 2011 12:34 PM      Profile for Nicholas Kovats   Email Nicholas Kovats   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello from across the pond.

This is the full resolution over-scanned 2080x870 pixels x 24bit depth sequential jpegs source file converted to MPEG4 for viewing purposes regarding the inaugural UltranPan8 test film roll recently uploaded.

This newest upload removes an additional level of compression, i.e.

1. original upload conversion/compression path:
UltraPan8 film -> 2080x870 pixels x 24bit depth sequential jpegs -> DIVX (mpeg4) 2.8:1 extraction -> YouTube/Vimeo compression

2. New upload conversion/compression path:
UltraPan8 film -> 2080x870 pixels x 24bit depth sequential jpegs -> YouTube/Vimeo compression

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6yb1zsjJYw
http://vimeo.com/27492482

Bolex hybrid H8/H16 camera mod provided by Jean-Louis Seguin. The scan was delivered by John Gledhill of bitworks.org utilizing his sprocketless 16mm transfer bay. Note that the ultra-wide native frame dimensions of UltraPan8 = 10.52mm x 3.75mm w/ AR = 2.8:1

The file is also available for public download and examination here, i.e. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29307178/Squential%20JPEGS%2018fps%20MPEG4.mp4

Note the impressive density of information contained in this minimal latitude reversal film stock, i.e. Ektachrome 100D.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 09, 2011 01:14 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nicholas,

Beautiful! And to think I traded away my Bolex H-8 Rex 3.....

I never thought of Canada being "across the pond" from the US, but then again, there are those great ponds Huron, Erie, Ontario, Michigan and Superior.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Nicholas Kovats
Junior

- posted August 09, 2011 01:17 PM      Profile for Nicholas Kovats   Email Nicholas Kovats   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Doug!

Sad to hear of the loss of your Bolex Rex 3. [Frown] The modification is much cheaper than Super 16. Significantly.

I was under the impression that this forum is hosted in the UK? Is this incorrect?

More to come as I just sent off my latest test roll to be scanned.

Onward!

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2011 03:18 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very impressive. However you call the Ektachrome 100D stock 'minimal latitude' stock. I think this is true in relation to negative stock. But it's my impression that Ektachrome 100D boasts a surprising latitude for a reversal stock. In 'run and gun' situations with automatic metering, it is a lot more forgiving than Kodachrome and most of the time results in decently exposed footage. This was the biggest surprise for me when starting to use 100D.

Nicholas Kovats
Junior

- posted August 09, 2011 03:25 PM      Profile for Nicholas Kovats   Email Nicholas Kovats   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alexander.

Indeed. In contrast to the increased latitude of specific Vision 2/3 200T Super 8 negative stock of which I have shot many rolls. I am looking forward to reperfing this negative stock to the UltraPan8 format.

But I concur that when one hits the sweet spot with E100D on a bright sunny day ..it can be quite impressive. Reminds of Kodachrome 40's classic and almost identical response to similar shooting conditions.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 09, 2011 05:19 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nicholas,

Although we proudly have members from all over the world, the 8mm Forum is based/hosted in the US.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Nicholas Kovats
Junior

- posted August 09, 2011 10:04 PM      Profile for Nicholas Kovats   Email Nicholas Kovats   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug,

Ahhh. I see. Thanks for the confirmation.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC