8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New User having trouble

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New User having trouble
Roger Southgate
Junior

- posted January 16, 2012 04:32 AM      Profile for Roger Southgate   Email Roger Southgate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have cleared out my father's house and now have reels of Super 8 mm cine film and a 40 to 50 year old Eumig Mark 8 projector. All went well initially. I bought the correct replacement bulb and managed to load the film correctly. The projector seemed to work fairly easily given many years storage and film reels stored in imperfect conditions.I got an excellent image on screen and could check out old, invaluable family footage.But now, all reels loaded only project a blurred rapidly flickering indecipherable image. Film loading has become very error prone, but not impossible. I have tried adjusting all things mentioned in rudimentary instructions but I cannot get it to work as it did. I have the right sprockets for Super 8 but something is causing the shutter to be out of sync with the film. The film appears to be threaded through sprockets correctly, but it does not run smoothly unless the pressure guide on the top feed sprocket is OPEN rather than closed as in the instructions. Instructions as to how to re-set the length of the film loop before the gate are unclear, and do not have much effect. The film that projected initially also fails now. Any suggestions from the forum would be most helpful.

|  IP: Logged

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2012 04:46 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Roger,

After checking that the claw is retracted, try removing the film gate and aperture and cleaning with spirit to remove old gunk that may be caught in there. Look at the tip of the claw and see if there is a ball of fluff built up on it. This will prevent the claw from penetrating the film properly and could cause loss of film loop to occur. So give it a good clean up and try again.

Let us know if you have any luck.

dogtor frankarnstein [Razz]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Timothy Dunn
Junior

- posted December 14, 2012 01:15 PM      Profile for Timothy Dunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you manage to resolve this problem?
I think I am seeing something similar.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 14, 2012 06:30 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Roger,check that the claw pin is not broken,as these can be
damaged,and being tempered steel will break rather than bend.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC