8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New to Super 8 - Projector Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to Super 8 - Projector Questions
Charles Thomas Rowden
Junior

- posted January 31, 2012 10:43 PM      Profile for Charles Thomas Rowden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am new to Super 8, what a fascinating hobby. Questions on projectors are as follows:

I'm only going to buy a projector one time, seens like the ELMO GS-1200 is the machine for me. Am also intrigued by Fumeo. Recommendations?

Second, who do I contact to find one of these machines in excellent working condition? I live in Southern California, but have no problem importing one from Europe if that is what it takes. There is an ELMO GS-1200 on ebay at the moment, German dealer I believe.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Charlie

|  IP: Logged

Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2012 10:49 PM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! I am just a few months into the hobby and loving it!

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 01, 2012 03:40 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Charles

Welcome to the forum and the hobby. Check your email.

PatD

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 02, 2012 09:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having one projector is like having one potato chip!

Having a GS as the sole machine is a little like driving a Ferrari full time: awesome yet prone to leaving you taking the bus while it's in the shop!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2012 10:07 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Charlie--and welcome! I am new at this hobby (abt 6 months)
Only needed one super 8 sound projector, an based on this forum I purchased an elmo st1200hd. That's all I needed.
HOWEVER: THERE ARE NOW 4 OTHER PROJECTORS ----- MUST BE SOMETHING ON THE SCREEN.
Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wright

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 03, 2012 09:51 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yessir...

I remember back at the Turn of the Century (I mean this one!)

I had one (1) Kodak Moviedeck Silent (looks like it wants to be a slide projector) projector. I'd had in since I was a teenager. It seemed perfectly adequate!

-but...

There were a lot of sound films available and it seemed kind of 21st Century to upgrade, so I got one (1) Bolex Sound projector.

-but...

When you have sound films it's natural to think more theatrically, and that awkward gap between reels kind of begs for a second sound machine to keep the screen bright, so I got one (1) Elmo Sound projector.

(Yada Yada...)

I'm actually resisting the urge to add more beyond the three sound machines I have, but I'm sure someday an opportunity will come along I can't pass up. That's how this hobby is: you never seek, but stumble across stuff and fall in love with it!

I would imagine back in the day when new machines were common and good ones cost a decent fraction of the cost of a new car people kept it to fewer than we do now. Then again they didn't think about reliability and backup like we do either.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2012 10:44 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started out with one Bell and Howell dual 8 projector. At the time I thought that was all I needed. Then I got on this forum. That machine is long gone. I now have 4 super 8 projectors and 4 regular 8mm projectors.

Super 8:
Elmo ST 180E sound
Bolex 18-5 L (2 each)
Bolex 18-5 super

Regular 8mm:
Bolex 18-5 (2 each)
Bolex M8
Keystone K 109-D

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2012 10:52 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Charles, keep in mind that the german machine may not work on our voltage over here if possible try leon norris he may have one for sale or phil johnson at http://8mm16mmfilmscollectibles.com/super-8.htm
someone just gave out leon number the other day i could not find it here.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2012 06:08 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Charles,

I know of a "Fumeo 9125 Telecine Color" Super 8 Sound Movie Projector that is for sale. The owner offered it to me this week but I hadn't any spare funds so said no thanks.

Look it up on www. super8data.com and check it out. Looks impressive but I haven't seen one of these before. It may interest you if you are into Fumeos. Missing the lens but complete otherwise, the machine is probably still available to buy so if interested, let me know and I can contact him.

Shipping would be expensive as it weighs 24 kgms.

dogtor frankarnstein [Razz]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC