8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » best 8mm camera

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: best 8mm camera
Christopher Ro
Junior

- posted February 01, 2012 03:48 PM      Profile for Christopher Ro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone got a best list of 8mm cameras i currently use a bolex p1 and am amazed at its quality build much better than the super 8s and also own a bolex p4

|  IP: Logged

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 05:31 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from my experience the Bolex cameras are the best and most reliable for 8mm. I have several including the C8, B8, B8L, B8SL, D8L, P1, P2, H8 and H8 Rex 4. I think the overall best is the H8 Rex 4 but it has it's drawbacks. It's big and heavy. For a portable camera I really like the P1, it has a great lens. Most of the pocket cameras like the C8, B8 and D8 will give good results as long as you put on a good lens. It's also nice to have one with a variable shutter if you are using ASA 100 or higher film in bright sunlight.

I don't own a Bolex K1 or K2 but they both have the Kern Vario-Switar 8-36mm f/1.9 zoom lens. I think that's one of the best 8mm lenses. I do have the Vario Switar 36EE 8mm-36mm f/1.9 zoom lens for my H8 Rex 4.

I would like to find out more about the Beaulieu 8mm cameras like the R8. They are quite rare and expensive though.

Christopher Ro
Junior

- posted February 04, 2012 07:21 AM      Profile for Christopher Ro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi

never seen a h8 go for quit a bit of money on ebay, was recently reading an original review of the bolex 150 in a uk 1960s magazine and from it you can see how they went out of business because they built a product which whilst revolutionary was overpriced to its competition and according to the review the focusing was not up to the usual bolex high standards. do you own any super 8 cameras . i also have two old bolex projectors , incredibly well built machines the m8 and 18-5

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 04, 2012 07:57 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Christopher. I use a Bolex P2 and have done for years. The K2 as mentioned is a superb camera as well and worth looking out for.
Happy Std 8 day! [Cool]

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2012 11:39 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
do you own any super 8 cameras .
For Super 8 I have a Bolex 160 and a Bolex 155. I also have Chinon 612 XL Macro that I have used with good results. I consider my Bolex 160 my best Super 8 camera. I usually shoot more regular 8mm than super 8. I enjoy using the old clockwork cameras more than the battery powered Super 8 cameras.

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2012 06:40 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spring wound standard 8mm cameras were far more robust than the later electric motor Super 8s and almost all standard 8mm cameras had precision lenses since many were prime (non-zoom). Even on a low priced 8mm camera I found the lens quality produced a vivid picture comparable to that shot on the best Bolex cameras.

Christopher Ro
Junior

- posted February 06, 2012 10:27 AM      Profile for Christopher Ro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i did purchase a bolex 155 but the eye cover has perished risking light entering the camera , the motor and lightmeter work fine however, what would you consider the best super 8 cameras

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 11:55 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Canon 1014 is considered one of the best Super 8 cameras. The Beaulieu models are also considered top of the line.

I have used my Bolex 155 and 160 without the rubber eye cups and had no problems with light leaks. As long as you are looking through the viewfinder you shouldn't have a problem. I think one of the dials under the viewfinder shuts it off for when you are not looking through it. The biggest problem with them, as well as most super 8 cameras, are the light meters not functioning properly.

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 06:46 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once tested a Beaulieu sound super 8, I found the lens quality in low light was poor with details appearing soft.
There were many good Super 8 cameras, Canon and Nikon among the more robust, best to get one with a manual exposure override.

Alex Reus
Junior

- posted March 01, 2012 11:35 AM      Profile for Alex Reus   Email Alex Reus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel foolish asking this...but I thought 8mm film was no longer available along with its processing.

I do agree that the older 8mm camera a a thing of beauty. they are wonderful to hold and use.

Thanks guys

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 01, 2012 01:25 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
No don't be thinking that my dear Alex,Kodachrome 11 has met
It's demise but there are another three film stocks to take it's
place(if thats at all possible as K11 has been likened to the
amateur Technicolour) although I understand that these new
stocks are negative which means copying your films will be a lot
easier but unfortunately it comes very expensive,so the point
& shoot brigade "at anything that moves" are going to drop S/8
very quickly, but S/8 has been used by the professionals for
a long time when it suits them.So theres plenty of film stock
it's just so damned expensive!

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2012 01:36 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can still get Regular 8mm film. The best source is John Schwind at International Film Brokers. You can get it processed at Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, KS. I have mine processed at Alpha Cine in Seattle, WA. There are a few other labs in the US as well as a few in Europe.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC