8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Blackpool SATURDAY EVENING dinner

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blackpool SATURDAY EVENING dinner
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 29, 2012 09:15 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Film Fair organised in Blackpool last November by David Guest was of course a great success, but some collectors have indicated that they would welcome an event on the Saturday evening. I have therefore responded by looking into this and I'm willing to organise it if there's sufficient demand.

Due to a large group using function rooms at the Cliffs Hotel on the Saturday evening, it would be impossible to hold the event there, but I have been offered a suitable room by the Savoy, which is of course a very short distance away and well known to Blackpool regulars. The catering would be a good two course fork buffet, probably costing £13.50 per head, and we would have a private bar. In the tradition of the Derann events, the evening would end with a film show lasting about an hour, and there could possibly be a quiz. It would be non-profit making, so I would simply charge the actual cost with about 50p per head added to provide modest funds for printing some publicity, etc. If there were a few pounds left over, I could hopefully buy anyone who provides significant help a drink on the night!

The immediate priority is to establish whether the event is viable, which needs to be done quickly, because the Savoy will only hold the room briefly prior to receiving a firm booking. The minimum number needed is 35. If you would like to support this and attend, please say so asap and I will add you to the list. If I get close to 35, I'll let everyone know and firm bookings will then be needed.

If this event happens, I hope it will also boost the attendance on the Sunday, as some long distant regulars said last year that they were not inclined to come just for one day.

[ March 01, 2012, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 02, 2012 08:52 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't expect to be overwhelmed by interest here - although I do have provisional bookings from other sources - but isn't there even ONE member here who would welcome a Blackpool Saturday night friendly social event with food and a film show?? If the format described is putting anyone off, I'm open to suggestions with regard to how it could be approached differently.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 02, 2012 09:46 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

Don't be discouraged, I'm sure you'll be getting replies shortly. It's a big undertaking to organize these events and I think its great that you're willing to set this up for your fellow collectors.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2012 12:51 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I,m sure myself ,Tony Duggan and Colin Tollman will be interested in attending

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 05, 2012 06:38 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm open to suggestions and a Blackpool regular has said to me: "people might be put off by a buffet, increase your prices and get a proper 3 or 4 course dinner with waiter service, it does make a real difference". So, if you would not be inclined to attend a buffet but would attend a dinner costing maybe around £25-£30, please say so. I'd proceed with a dinner if there was sufficient demand to suggest that the event would be viable, although we would have to hope that the room was still available when/if the bookings reached about 35, as I couldn't risk having to pay the extra if the final number was short of that.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 08, 2012 04:23 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian. I nipped into the Savoy to survey the scene as it were which I thought might be of help to you. They have quoted me the following for 30 plus people which should be doable.
Sit down meal 3 courses £18
Sit down meal 4 courses £21 Including coffee/tea and mints as well.
These prices also include a bar pass and free room hire.

Now then folks. It is 10 years since Derek Simmonds passed away so perhaps Derek and the contribution he made to film could also be marked at the dinner.

If you need a runner to the Savoy Adrian I am happy to help where I can.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2012 08:15 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good luck adrian with the meal bookings etc dont forget to tell everyone the date of your evening meal in november

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 08, 2012 02:35 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David, I was tending to assume that Blackpool enthusiasts would know the date as a result of having the Movie Fair date firmly etched in their memories, but I'd better not take anything for granted! So, the prospective Saturday night meal and film show is planned for SATURDAY 17 NOVEMBER.

Lee - thanks for that information; I must say that those prices are less than I thought and increase the incentive to have a dinner. I'm happy for the dinner v buffet choice to be decided by whatever the majority vote for. I agree also that it would be nice to include a tribute to Derek in the evening, and a screening of a certain production of yours (that I own a print of) would be helpful in this respect!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2012 01:26 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi adrian how are the table bookings going hope you are getting a few booked .i think it would be a good idea if you moved your posting in with mine on the 16mm forum saves people looking in 2 seperate places

Ged Jones
Junior

- posted March 22, 2012 05:43 AM      Profile for Ged Jones   Email Ged Jones       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian,
Just noticed you are trying to get a Blackpool evening meal together and hope that it comes off and goes well. Give my best to everyone.

Ged Jones. (late of Derann)

--------------------
Life is an epic movie - one in which the continuity girl has gone home.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2012 12:18 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re northwest film fair at cliffs hotel blackpool .i have had several emails asking me when i will be sending out booking forms for stalls .i will be sending them out 1st week in september .dealers wanting wall spaces will be allocated on a first come basis as there are only few wall spaces available .i have had 2 bookings up to now both requesting wall spaces .so if you want a wall space get in quick ,to avoid dissapointment i am expecting more dealers this year due to lots of enquires re the film fair .i can be contacted by phone or email dwgdodgems@hotmail.co.uk .tables are all 8ft long and you can request as many as you want .1 table £45.00 2 tables £85.00 .3 tables £115.00 .there will be power points for wall spaces ,but only limited power points for centre tables spaces .thanks david

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 22, 2012 04:08 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ged - Great to hear from you. I'll certainly pass on your good wishes if it happens!

David - I'm not overwhelmed by the number of interested people (haven't reached 10 yet) but I'll be better able to judge the viability after publicity has appeared in 'Projections' and 'Film Collector'. I'm only too pleased to co-ordinate any future posts with your publicity, although I think there's a case for having something on this board as well as the 16mm one, as quite a few 8mm collectors drop in here who rarely visit the 16mm one.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2012 01:16 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi adrian i hope you get some bookings but its early days yet .have you had the bookings off the people that asked about it .

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 24, 2012 04:18 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David - I haven't asked anyone for payment yet as I'm currently inviting people to state their preference in relation to a 2 course buffet @ £14 or a 3 course dinner @ £19. However, if the level of interest reaches a point where I can be moderately confident that the meal will proceed, I will then go all out with a view to getting firm bookings with payment, with a view to trying to confirm it will proceed asap.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 04, 2012 03:38 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are doing a good job making this happen Adrian. [Smile]

Everyone remember to register your place for the Saturday evening dinner with Adrian.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 04, 2012 06:35 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee - thanks for your support, and bookings!

The latest I can say is that I'm over half way to reaching the number I need, so there is some cause for optimism, but I still need several more bookings. So, if you are thinking about it, now is the time to commit yourself if you want to help make it happen. I'm not asking for payment until the evening is confirmed with the Savoy. Those stating a preference regarding the format have mostly opted for the three course dinner, so that's what it would be.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 17, 2012 03:43 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pleased to announce that this event is now definitely going ahead, so I'm accepting firm bookings. It will be a three course dinner followed by coffee and the price is £19. The evening will conclude with a film show lasting around an hour and there will also be a 15 minute live entertainment spot featuring Lee Mannering and his Ukelele! Lee appeared in Alan Parker's 'Bugsy Malone' and more recently in ITV's 'Ade In Britain'. There will also be a quiz and possibly a raffle (although not on the scale of Derann's) with a new Super 8 trailer as one of the prizes.

I think I'll call it the Northern Film Collectors' Dinner, partly to connect to its history, but also to try and save David Guest from receiving enquiries about it, which might happen if it was called (e.g.) the 'North West Film Fair Dinner'. But the idea is to make Blackpool as successful as possible by giving people every incentive to come along and make a weekend of it. Please contact me direct for more information on booking.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 13, 2012 05:43 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 09, 2012 03:44 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With less than 6 weeks to go, now is the time to book places at the Saturday night dinner, if you haven't already done so. In addition to the previously-mentioned attractions, I can confirm that there will be a raffle with some fantastic prizes (including brand new Super 8 films), thanks to an extremely generous supporter.

For anyone dining elsewhere, there are some 'Entertainment Only' tickets available, priced at £4. These admit holders, between 9.15pm and 9.30pm, to the after-dinner entertainment and also offer the opportunity to participate in the raffle and buy drinks at our private bar.

Please contact me direct for booking details.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2012 01:54 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a most valient effort you guys have done here.

Best of luck with it all... [Wink] [Smile]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 11, 2012 02:02 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I think great credit is due to Adrian in this case for his enthusiasm. Good stuff. Wish you luck with it.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2012 02:32 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Valiant? Valient?

Best of luck you guys either way! [Smile]

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2012 06:02 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian,

I have now checked with both Colin & Tony and I,m afraid they arent interested in attending the dinner on Saturday evening.

Sorry that counts me out too I,m afraid.

Good luck with the dinner and for your continued dedication to putting it all together.

Cheers Mark W

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 11, 2012 08:22 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the good wishes. It has been a challenge and I was initially far from confident that the dinner would happen, but it has been encouraging to receive bookings and enthusiasm from all 4 countries of the UK. Particular thanks are due to Robert Nichols, Lee Mannering and David Watson, as without their support and help, it's very unlikely that it would be proceeding.

Mark - Commiserations, that's really bad luck but (unfortunately) you can't force them!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC