8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Monster That Challenged The World WITH Soundtrack

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Monster That Challenged The World WITH Soundtrack
Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2012 10:18 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
recording the soundtrack for Monster That Challenged The World

First of all I’d like to publicly thank Hans for offering up those sound striped titles on his list.

“Thanks Hans it was a pleasure doing business.”

I managed to get four and they are indeed cool.

The original owner did an impressive job of making custom soundtracks (just sound efx and music - no dialogue)for these movies (which I have recorded to wave files)
But I really wanted to rerecord them - I think digest collectors, like me, wish many silent only titles came in sound counterparts.
A quick overview of my method:
• I first recorded a guide copy to digital video and imported it with Windows Live Movie Maker.
This would be essential it getting some kind of accurate synchronization with dialogue.
• Adobe Audition 1.5 was used to create the soundtrack.
• I ripped the sound from the full length movie to a wave file which I then used to cut up and reassemble for my soundtrack.
• The video file is first imported into Audition and clips are added in layers. Obviously as scenes are usually shortened and I found dialogue scenes sometimes lost synch so they too had to be pieced together (more problematic in “The Thing” as there are more complicated dialogue scenes)
• Once completed the soundtrack was recorded back onto the sound stripe.

Here’s a screen cap of the program.

-
I used the ELMO HiVi SC-18 M. The built in view screen was very convenient as I could set up the projector next to my desktop computer.

Though maybe not perfect I’m generally pleased with the results.

Next:

The Thing
War Of The Worlds
Rodan

Here is Monster uploaded to Utube - Sorry, not the best transfer but you'll get the idea.

Monster That Challenged The World

Cheers
Terry

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 21, 2012 10:31 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job Terry.

So the Adobe can extract only the dialog from the original soundtrack?

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 21, 2012 10:52 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
All I can add is, what the hell was that projected on?

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2012 11:16 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert

The program can import an mpeg or avi file.
It will import frames and put the soundtrack on a layer.
or
you can just extract the sound and save as a wave.

Hugh

I blame the makers of the cardboard!

Cheers
Terry

ps
It seems Utube has added a filter to "improve" the video which made it look worse!
I think I can revert it back to the original.

EDIT
Yep, UTube applied a "Stabilize" filter wich made my tripod shot video look like handheld!
So the cardboard is off the hook - I now blame UTube ( and myself for clicking OK)

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 21, 2012 11:26 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you say, if we import movie from DVD (eg) it would divided by frames, in this case 24 fps.

If so.....IT IS VERY COOL!...

Because I have so many digests are going to be converted to Stereo. Currently I am using Windows Movie Maker to cut and edit. The problem is a second drift will be disaster to all.

But if Adobe can exactly divided 1 second of film into 24 frames, then I just need to find the exact frame of digest through GOKO Viewer to compare with the ones on Adobe.

Is that correct?

--------------------
Winbert

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2012 11:45 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not an expert with this software but I believe the answer is yes.

here are some options in the "view" menu

-

Cheers
Terry

Tyler Wood
Junior

- posted June 21, 2012 12:32 PM      Profile for Tyler Wood   Email Tyler Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely done!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 21, 2012 12:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may sound kind of funny, but I thought the best part of that short you put on You Tube was the title card, starting out as what we think is the sun on the horizon, slowly coming into a close up and instead of blowing up are becoming a nifty spaceship, it becomes the letters of the title card. I liked that.

... it's also funny how the subtitles can have absolutely nothing to do with what's going on in the actual story ...

"Hey, watch me dive!" (classicly bad! [Smile] )

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 22, 2012 11:32 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,

I just downloaded the latest version of Adobe Audition CS6 (trail version), it does have time display as you show above, but it is only for the "time display" meaning instead of the usual:

Hour:Minute:second

we can change to:

Hour:Minute:Second:24 fps

However, the video display remains normal.

What I am looking for is a software that capable to divided the actual picture from DVD into 24 frames (= 24 pictures) in every second.

It means the downloaded video will have exactly frame by frame equal to the 8mm counterpart.

Anyone knows a software that capable to do that?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Tyler Wood
Junior

- posted June 23, 2012 07:08 AM      Profile for Tyler Wood   Email Tyler Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are on Mac Final Cut will do that, but if not I believe Adobe Premiere can go frame by frame!

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2012 07:50 AM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is soooooooo cool! Gonna try it!

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2012 07:05 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Now THAT is way cool!

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2012 08:02 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on the COOL! That really turned out good. I can't wait to see Rodan!!!

Bill [Big Grin]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 01, 2012 05:58 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better you guys now start to record different titles, so you can exchange files, rather doing the title already done by other member.

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC