8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How to sell overseas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to sell overseas
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 07, 2012 09:47 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need some advice on the best way to sell films overseas. I had a shock this week when an overseas buyer sent me a bank cashiers check for $200.00 and, when I went to cash it, my local bank informed me that I would be charged a $40.00 fee and would have to wait up to 6 weeks to clear - even though it was a printed check made out in US dollars! This is totally outrageous and it has put me off from bothering with any future film sales overseas. I know a lot of US collectors on this forum sell overseas, so I need some advice on the easiest, cheapest and safest way to do it - if there is one. I do not wish to set up a PayPal account.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2012 09:58 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, Paul, the only way to avoid an issue from re-occurring such as you the one you just suffered is to have a PayPal account. I've had mine for several years now and it has made things so much easier and quicker from both a buying and selling stand point. It's also the only way you can recover any financial loss from dead-beat sellers who never ship your item. Ebay can track the payment and reverse it back to you if the seller can't prove the item landed in your hands (via a shipping tracking #). My wife and I have had more than one recovery over the years and, boy, now we're believers. Word out there is that Ebay is only going to be a PayPal forum excluding buyers from sending snail mail payments to sellers. There's too many complaints that probably go un-resolved because there's no way for Ebay to reverse the cashing of a money order or a personal check. Ebay has no dominion over the USPS or banks.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 07, 2012 10:07 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly how you feel Paul,as no doubt do other members
on the forum.I hope that they get their commupance with these
enquiries into their nefarious activities, and I for one would be the
first to advocate the punishment of impalement for the robbing,
double tongued, money lending bastards! I have a personal view
that people in employment should be payed a cash wage in their
hand every week or month,not cashless pay into the hands of
bankers (with a capital W) where folks are charged to withdraw
their own money.It's time for change.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2012 10:35 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and go with PayPal.

I don't do a lot of buying and selling, but I have had a PayPal account for a number of years and it has been incredibly useful, quick and efficient.

There is of course a fee to pay, but for the convenience and assurance that there is some come back if a sale or purchase goes bad, it's well worth it.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2012 10:28 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any fees that PayPal charges are much less than what your bank would charge. Transactions are very fast and easy. You are shooting yourself in the foot by not having a PayPal account for such purposes.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2012 10:58 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I were victims of identity theft on Ebay a few years back and, ironically, it was the folks at Ebay that called us immediately to inform us that not only had they prevented any damage from occurring, but assured us they would continue to remain sensitive to any activity on our Ebay and PayPal accounts. Ebay/PayPal gets alot of bad press, but nobody ever has anything positive to say so I would like to offer testimony that PayPal works and my wife and I will always be grateful to the loss prevention team at Ebay for creating the proactive strike against what could have been an incredibly bad situation.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2012 11:30 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually about 5 years ago I didn't have the best protection on my computer and my bank account was tapped into through Paypal to the tune of $600...Paypal reimbursed my loss and then went after the culprit. I at the time cancelled my internet connection but kept my eBay and Paypal accounts.

It is a convenient way to pay for things online.

Bill [Smile]

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2012 01:01 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you have someone send you a check in the mail from another country - tell them to make sure that it is drawn (in $US) on a bank with a US Routing number. If it has that, you should be fine... I have a couple customers in France who send me checks from Citibank and they are fine...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC