8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Universal 8 releases on low fade stock!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Universal 8 releases on low fade stock!
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 09, 2012 05:28 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it's now generally accepted that apart from certain cartoons, Universal 8 didn't produce any releases on low fade stock. However, I can't recall if it has being mentioned here that Red Fox re-released some U8 films not long before they ceased trading. There's an interesting thread on the 16mm Forum that mentions this and one member reports owning a U8 2x400' release with a Red Fox leader on LPP! No doubt such prints are immensely rare and perhaps Red Fox only offered a very limited selection, but it's still good news.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 09, 2012 06:15 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, it has been discussed before that Red Fox only re-packed the U8 releases on Red Fox box. Before seeing with my own eyes, I never believed any U8 two parter on LPP.

Here is the thread:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=003147

And here is the picture (not mine) how Red Fox re-labelled u8 leftover reels:

-

[ July 09, 2012, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 09, 2012 06:34 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert - sorry, my memory isn't what it used to be!

I'm not surprised if collectors take the view that they will believe it when they see it, when it comes to LPP prints, but I'd be interested to know if anyone can say with absolute certainty that Red Fox did not have access to any of U8's negatives? Red Fox kept going for a few years after U8 ended and definitely sold low fade prints of their own titles. It's well known that there were plenty of copies of many U8 releases sold off cheaply, but that didn't apply to certain titles like 'Xanadu' and 'The Blues Brothers'. Derann must have had a high proportion of U8's surplus stock (I saw large piles of it on their premises) but it all had the original cases; they never had to produce the equivalent of the Red Fox custom-made lables.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2012 01:15 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said before on another forum, Red Fox Films most certainly did have access to the Universal 8 negatives. Just as Derann did when they reprinted their 3-D digests. I have a LPP print of "Xanadu" both parts on Low-Fade stock. And it is written right on the Negative Leader "Red Fox Films" and a 1983 date. For it to be marked as such on the Negative, its likely that when Red Fox sold the prints that a different printing lab was used. Or it was done so the lab knew where to send the prints. Except for occasional instances especially in 16mm where a print was struck on Kodachrome or Agfa or Ansco stock, one can safely assume that the majority of Universal 8 releases are not on Low-Fade stock. And the exceptions apply to Castle Films prints. Any prints struck around 1982-1983 may be Low-Fade but to be sure, they are very rare. They came from the last year or so that New Universal 8 prints were sold. The above picture explains why the last batch of prints were sold without cardboard slipcases: since the films were now released thru Red Fox Films they used the plastic boxes that had Universal 8 embossed on them but discontinued the slipcases because they made no mention of Red Fox Films. Obviously, this was to avoid the expense of having new ones made. If Red Fox had not obtained a distribution license, there would not be any Low-Fade prints around. When Universal 8 shut down, labs were slowly switching over to Low-Fade print stock. If you find a Universal 8 or Castle Films print on Low-Fade Color stock, you can consider yourself fortunate indeed! On a final note, Red Fox did sell a handful of titles in 16mm from Universal 8 but the Super 8mm prints are more commonly available. 16mm Universal 8 prints with excellent color are the rarest of all.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC