8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Can splices damage sound heads?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can splices damage sound heads?
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 17, 2012 07:35 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have often thought that splices could adversely affect the life of magnetic sound heads. After all the film is pressed firmly against the heads and is running across it at a a fair speed. It seems to me that under these conditions a sharp edge of film from a badly made splice could easily nick or damage a head, particulary the very thin track 2 head.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 18, 2012 04:30 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think your soundheads are safe enough Paul,as even
though cement splices feel hard,I shouldn't think they'll do any damage
as it is only a form of plastic,which is a lot softer than metal.
It's the constant abrasion of the oxide where the head wear
would come in,and that takes a quite a while.Even then you can have the head reprofiled,and no harm done.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 18, 2012 04:48 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul. My line of thought has always been that poorly made cement splices are like running sand paper over sound heads. The film hits the sound head at quite a rate so with double the thickness of film, plus cement possibly spilling out after joining, and then overlaying mag stripe my guess is cement splices are not the way to go for magnetic sound.

Good tape splices reveal the magnetic track clearly and I have used the Wurker patches for years which are the thinnest of all. Tape is clearly the way to do it and Wurker if well made are near invisible.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC