8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A reel without thread slot, why is this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A reel without thread slot, why is this?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 18, 2012 11:13 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I often found reels without a thread slot in the hub making me very hard to place the film, unless I can hold the film with my finger and take several round before film siting tightly.

Why is this?

I know some reels are auto reel, but I also found some reels are not those auto reel just ordinary reel. Making a little slit will not cost them much.

Is there any other reason you know?

[ July 18, 2012, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2012 11:25 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use tape on such reels, Winbert. I shouldn't do that?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 18, 2012 11:45 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you use tape, than you possibly make residue on the leader.

Next time you play the same film again, the residue can stick to the other projector parts, and the leader will also stick (stop) and you know after that.....disaster!

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 18, 2012 11:48 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a plan to deal with this. I'm buying about 10 reels with slots in them and as I find myself with empty slotless reels on the front arm I'll dismount 'em and trash 'em! This is a small step towards a less stress-filled life!

I don't know who ever thought these were a good idea, but it's obvious they never really used them!

These things are obviously some sadistic prank played on their users. My classic thing is I find myself doing a small semi-public show with two machines. A reel ends on one machine and I start the second one. I have the time of that other film to rewind the earlier reel and thread up the next film. That tense minute in the dark trying to get one of these reels to grab is enough to send a bead of sweat down my spine. ("Aww Crap!, -not one of THESE!!!")

The intriguing thing is if you look at them, the surface of the hub the film wraps around often has a little narrow valley next to one of the flanges. I can't help but feel this is intended to help catch the film. I can't imagine how, but it's the only guess I have to date.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2012 12:51 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Winbert. I try to ensure no residue on the film but it is never 100%. Some sellers ship films with tape to hold the leader inside the reel; guess that's risky too.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 18, 2012 01:25 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay,believe me,a little piece of paper masking tape wont harm
your film,the adhesive doesn't ooze on this particular tape and
is usually used as you say to stick the film ends down by the
distributors.I take Steves point,and am still laughing,these things
are sent to try the patience of Job( a prophet ) it is possible to
put in a slot with a hot knife etc but it makes you wonder why
this wasn't done in the first place.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2012 01:49 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't faced problems because of this tape so far, Hugh. But I didn't think of the point Winbert had to make. Just gotta be more careful.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 18, 2012 02:15 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a couple of reels like the one mentioned with no slots. My solution was to put a rubber band inside the reel around the hub. It had to be just the right size so it would fit flat. I then wrap the film around the hub and the rubber band stops it from slipping and it grabs quickly. It won't self feed but at least you don't get the stress. [Wink]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 18, 2012 02:18 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert is gonna worry himself into an early grave, you'll find
Akshay that the majority of film damage is done by projectors
that are auto thread,with parts that wear out regarding film
track.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 18, 2012 02:19 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a beautiful used 600 foot print from Derann once with tape on it. A little fleck of it wadded up into a tiny jagged spike and it stuck in my film path below the gate.

-gouged that print from one end to the other!

Ever since then I treat the stuff like toxic waste!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 18, 2012 02:33 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems there is no obvious reason except they are stupid.

(same thing with my confusion why some States in the USA require only one plate number at front side, not both at front and back side).

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 18, 2012 03:47 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert I can't argue with your logic,I sometimes wonder at the
misnomer "common sense" when you see some of the stupid
things that are supposed to make life easier,that in fact make it
more complex and stressful, like automated phone services,,I personally would like just five minutes in a locked room with the guy who thought it up.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2012 06:26 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have gotten many Derann 600 foot reels which are next to impossible to use ...very frustrating. You can't even get a finger in there to hold the film on. I have had to transfer the films to other reels and I have a pile of those awful reels in a drawer somewhere. It's hard to fathom why a company would spend tons of money on quality printing and sound recording and then put the films on those horrible reels...not to mention the totally filmsy boxes they came in.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2012 09:07 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary took the words right outta' my mouth!! Couldn't agree more!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC