8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Disney Dr. Syn in Sound?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disney Dr. Syn in Sound?!
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2012 07:27 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just won this on Italian Ebay and am very excited. Did anyone know Disney released this in other parts of the world in sound? I was always bummed that only silent prints were availble in the US and UK. Now if the color is good and I can do a nice re-record from the DVD I will be thrilled as this is one of my favorite Disney films from childhood.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261063249279?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 24, 2012 08:32 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably a pirate copy Brian,but who cares if it's the film you
want, congratulations.I only knew of it in col/slt.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2012 09:28 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the real give away will be if there are subtitles on the print... which means it was probably silent to begin with. Will report back.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2012 09:29 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am green with envy, Brian. I've always dreamed of finding "Dr. Syn" in Color and Sound. Well, maybe just sound being that color prints from way back when seem to always leave much to be desired. It's not a 4 **** movie by any means, but I remember being absolutely glued to the tv in our den when I was about 8 years old when "Dr. Syn" aired on the "Wonderful World Of Disney" over 2 weeks @7pm EST on Sunday nights. Then when I found a digest of it at my local camera shop - "SHAZAM"! I had to have it and finally saved up enough allowance money to buy it - what a happy boy I was that day! It's so funny how one can become so attached to a digest of a movie that as an adult you think to yourself "what in the world was I so impressed with?", but as a kid you thought it was totally AWESOME! That's what "Dr. Syn" is for me. Brian, I'm dying to know if its color or b&w. If the sound is english or 'sonoro italiano' which would be understandable, but unfortunate. Finally, if the box is original or a good mock-up. The same year Disney released "Dr. Syn" Hammer Films in the UK released their own version entitled "Night Creatures" and it is a terrific film. Ironically, Hammer was prohibited from using the title "Dr. Syn" because Disney was faster in acquiring the title rights, but, oddly, Hammer continued with production without any legal hitches. Cushing's interpretation of the Syn character (re-named Captin Clegg) is one of his best performances.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2012 02:54 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Subtitles do not necessarily indicate that sound versions were never released on a title.

The silent version of Mary Poppins the Super Nanny has subtitles and alternate takes than the sound release.

Dr. Syn was released as sound. I remember it at the Willoughby / Peerless camera - Select Film Library store in NYC.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 26, 2012 04:26 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
The story behind the rights of "Dr Syn" Disney version,is quite an interesting one, they only had the rights to the "bastardised" novel written by an American writer named William Buchanan
who had happened on a copy of "The Further Adventures of Syn",recast the novel in his own image of "Christopher Syn" as it was out of copyright,in the USA. This was done with the blessing of Russell Thorndike,the original English author and both shared credit.Disney on acquiring the rights to film it,found out that Hammer were about to make a similar version but could do nothing about it as they had only the rights to that particular novel. Hammer's was a far superior film, bringing in elements, with the help of Tony Hinds, of the historical accuracies of the period,which Disney didn't do.
Unfortunately for Disney,Thorndike had sold the rights to Dr Syn in 1920, which left them with just "Christopher Syn" to plunder.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC