8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Who was the most annoying viewer at a screening of yours?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who was the most annoying viewer at a screening of yours?
Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2012 01:02 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who was the most annoying viewer at a screening of yours? Why?

I'll Start:
Years ago a "friend" would come over and we would watch a few prints at a time. I had just screened my new "Star Wars" 400' digest and the box was missing. After looking for it for awhile, he removes the box from under his ass where he had hidden it. Needless to say, the box was crushed and useless. He thought it was funny. Then another time after that he came by with a friend of his. We were watching a feature that was in two parts. After the 1st reel was done, he says they have to leave to get to a store before it closed. Because I should have been told this before I started the screening, that was the last straw. I never screened anything else for him after that...

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

|  IP: Logged

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2012 01:04 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some "friends"!

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2012 01:30 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were other things that he did but I am staying on topic. When I moved away, for years he tried to correspond with me but I never replied. Once a year with a Christmas card he would try yet again. In his mind, I imagine he thinks he has never done anything! Sometimes one has to cut off someone; and I have a lot of patience!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 16, 2012 02:32 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Non Viewers Actually,

My wife and I used to do winter weekends for our camping group and I did film shows for them.

One time this small bunch decided they didn't want to watch the films so they insisted the lights stay up so they could work on a jigsaw puzzle.

My films were washed out on screen because of all the light...including the one I made for the occasion.

We can file that under "pearls before swine"!

-a couple of years later when people were watching the films togther I gave that film a second run.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2012 07:52 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years, I've learned to mitigate my expectations for film audiences. As a result, I've narrowed my list of film invitees down to the people who do appreciate it.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2012 11:57 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped showing films to people years ago due to the behavior of some of the viewers. And of course its worse today which is why I do not go to the theater now to see a current release. Sure, there are people who still appreciate a film screening. But its not worth the effort anymore as its taking a chance. When I run my projectors now its only me and sometimes Mom who watch a print.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 17, 2012 06:47 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
On the whole,I've got to say that any screenings that I've given
both in and outside the home have been very pleasant affairs.
When in the home for my friends,some of the wisecracks and
asides were often as entertaining as the actual films,such as when
my then "thin as a rail" cousin walked across the light beam,one
of my mates cracked "Was that a scratch on the film?"
The nicest compliment I was paid came from one of my workmates
who said "It wouldn't be Christmas without these film shows"
at one of our legendary gatherings.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2012 09:49 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great stories everybody! I'm trying to remem..... Oh yea!-

Back in the 70's, I was showing a Little Rascals short to a Day-Care group (4 to 8 year olds). As usual, I was paying more attention to the movie than what was going on around me. Suddenly, one of the kids was trying to pull himself up on the make-shift projection stand, and, guess what happened....

The whole thing tipped over forward, pulling the projector and films down to the floor. [Mad] The projector was a Eumig Mark S 802 and, while it was built like a tank (all metal), something inside was bent and it had to be sent in for repairs. (The kid managed to walk away without a scratch!)

On the bright side, Eumig repaired it under the one-year warranty, absolutely free [Smile] . Service like that would be unheard of these days.

James.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2012 09:49 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its always nice when you have an appreciative audience as it recreates the atmosphere of going to a cinema. Sadly, with the advent of DVD, and movies on demand, audiences are often indifferent nowadays. Fortunately, we can still enjoy our prints even if we are the only ones watching them! And we know how to behave during the screening [Wink] Many people simply are unaware of the work involved in having and maintaining a film library. To them it means having a shelf filled with DVDs [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2012 11:53 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there's one thing I have learned over the many years of film collecting/projecting, its this: know your audience!

Finding the right types of films/shorts for an audience is not always easy, especially with large groups, but always makes for a much better showing. I'll never forget the time some folks had come over to watch a feature, and I showed some intermission / ad reels before the show, and they just could not understand the concept of that. They just wanting the movie to start [Confused] .

This group had no interest in "nostalgia" or something a little "different". They just wanted to see a movie. In the end, they were impressed with the quality of the film and sound of the feature, so it wasn't a lost evening [Wink] .

But, like I said, its always good to know the kind of things your viewers like to see, before you put together a show.

Recently, I "tested the waters" with some neighbors that were coming over to watch some home movies. I started a cartoon a few minutes before they arrived. Then, when they came in, I advised them that I was testing some film for set-up (which was true). Their reaction to the old cartoon being projected on the big screen was very positive, and they were asking all kinds of questions, and were very impressed. So, next thing you know, we're watching Little Rascals shorts & a few other things- before seeing the home movies that were planned, and it was a great experience for all!

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 17, 2012 12:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just one annoying fellow, who insisted, everytime my back was turned, to make "Rabbit's, butterflies and any other Gawd awful annoying creation with his hands in the light of the projector lense!

Bloody Phillistine!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 17, 2012 02:58 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a nine year old that started making film requests in the middle of a show I was doing (-as if I'm some kind of DJ...)

He's grown into one of those junior high aged kids whose facial expressions alone are enough to make you want to punch him.

What is it they say?

-Some people are like slinkies: They serve absolutely no purpose in life but you just can't help but smile when you see one tumble down a flight of stairs.

I had a "rabbit ear" kid too once. His Dad crawled under the beam Marine Corps style and grabbed the arm downward. I don't know what he said, but from the exchange of expressions between them I got the idea doing it again was not a good choice for the kid.

--------------------

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2012 03:22 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a mother come up to me during a public screening for the local kids, and she told me, dead serious: "Could you change the language to Norwegian?". I told her that I could not do that with the machine, because it was film. And then she sighed and said: "Fine, give me the remote and I'll do it myself!"

Worst part is, it was non-dialogue cartoons. Djeeeez.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 17, 2012 03:31 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the ones that just have to ask:

"How much do these movies cost"

-I thought questions like that were suppose to be (you know) RUDE!

--------------------

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2012 03:54 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The more I read these responses, the more glad I am that I stopped screenings. As far as inviting neighbors, we have had our share of neighbors who acted like they were from another planet. Which is why I had a Security Alarm System installed. To those of you that still do screenings, hopefully they will be successful. This has been a very interesting thread so far; its fun being able to share stories.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 18, 2012 02:32 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What James has already mentioned is a very good point "know your audience"

Thinking back I really cant remember a problem with anyone. It might be that with me sitting next to the projector holding onto a "baseball bat" [Mad] had something to do with it...only joking [Wink] .

Even the last 12 years working as a projectionist and dealing with the public I have found folk in general to be very good. One incident years ago I remember, going into one of the cinemas before the next session to check things out. I came across four boys on there hands and knees picking up popcorn. I asked the usher, whats going on, he replied they made this mess, and it was bad just where they had been sitting and replied, they can clean it up. One kid looked at me as to say save me... I thought, "Nope" and left.

I remember once though, when my wife fell asleep, and she was right out to it, and snored [Eek!] her way right through 2001 A Space Odyssey, "except for the intermission" [Big Grin]

Graham.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 18, 2012 02:44 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably me. I spend so much time enthusing about each film after a screening it must drive visitors to our shows nuts!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 18, 2012 06:26 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'I had a mother come up to me during a public screening for the local kids, and she told me, dead serious: "Could you change the language to Norwegian?". I told her that I could not do that with the machine, because it was film. And then she sighed and said: "Fine, give me the remote and I'll do it myself!"'

That's a classic! If only you had been using a GS with a remote plugged in that you could hand to her!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2012 06:54 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In general, based on what I have heard over the passing years audiences behave differently and better overseas/in Europe. Some of that is changing as the Baby Boomers are being replaced by a new generation. Of course, how one was raised will also affect one's behavior. Today's Technology may be beneficial when it comes to Film Preservation and Restoration, but it also is detrimental to audiences. Going to a cinema means little nowadays since so many watch features at home.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 18, 2012 12:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
" Some people are like slinkies: They serve absolutely no purpose in life but you just can't help but smile when you see one tumble down a flight of stairs. "

I've GOT to remember that. It's priceless!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 18, 2012 07:36 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like this one even better:

"Everyone can serve a purpose, even if only as a bad example."

It's true: you have to pick and choose your audience and match the films to fit.

Last spring I did a railroad film show and invited friends who like trains.

This winter I'm doing the same with musically based films with friends who like music.

Note: the common thread is "friends".

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC