8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Were 'Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell' extracts released in France?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Were 'Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell' extracts released in France?
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 18, 2012 06:17 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a keen Hammer collector, I'm familiar with practically every Hammer release on 8mm but there's one possibility that I've never been 100% sure about. Somewhere, I have a French catalogue - probably Film Office - from around 1980 that has a couple of extracts from a colour Frankenstein film. From what I could understand of the text, it sounded quite likely that the extracts were from Hammer's final Frankenstein film, 'Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell', but I've never seen prints or confirmation of this. I think one was a one reeler and the other may have been slightly longer, but not a full 400'.

Has anyone ever come across these French releases and if so, can they confirm what the film is?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 18, 2012 02:05 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
If Frankenstein & the Monster From Hell were released in France
all I can say is ......good,I can't think of a better lot to release them on! Seriously,I wouldn't be at all suprised Adrian as the stuff that
surfaces lately never fails to suprise me.Perhaps Brian Hendel
might have some idea.I remember being offered a print in 16mm
some years ago by the late Peter Hemstock, it might have been
one of Derann's ex library.Maybe some of our members in France
or Belgium might be able to throw some light,it certainly seems
feasable.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2012 03:28 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm - that's interesting. I have never heard of "Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell" being released on Super 8 anywhere. But lately I've been surprised to find out about foreign releases for the first time. Just a couple weeks ago I discovered an uncut "Horror of Frankenstein" from Italy that I never knew about either. Adrian, if you find that French catalogue perhaps you can post a scan of that section for a closer look.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 18, 2012 07:57 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian - I'll see if I can find the catalogue and do a scan.

Hugh - I don't suppose you know what happened to that 16mm print? If it was from Derann's library, it would be of exceptional interest as I once heard that they only had one print of the film in their library. So this is likely to be the only 16mm copy of the uncut British version. There are US TV and theatrical prints in circulation - I have one - but even the theatrical version is missing at least one scene in the British cut. I actually saw the Derann print in the early 1980s when it was hired and screened at a Hammer convention I was at.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 19, 2012 04:55 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Adrian,I'm afraid the only person who could help on that
would be Pete, but unfortunately he's no longer among us, mores
the pity.I was tempted at the time to buy it but I had films on
all sides coming my way and some I had to pass on.I can assure you that Derann would have at least two copies on 16mm,as a
very rare film"Living Dead At Manchester Morgue" had at least
two prints, and I had two myself,selling one of them recently.
So it's out there somewhere.I know when "The Big Reel" was
going that there were lots of American prints of Hammer films
but they were cut, the risque nudity being removed.Regarding
the Film Office or some other firm releasing this film,try Bd Cine
in Paris,they are very helpful and might have come across it.
I was under the impression that DFS were the sole releasing
agent for "Mask of the Demon",how wrong I was,some unknown
company in France released a beautiful print full length,Brian
also with his "Horror of Frankenstein" again full length.The chap
that runs Mediavana could be of help, if it exists Adrian, I would
think these people would have come across it and will let you know.Best of British my son.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 19, 2012 09:11 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh - A US 16mm print featuring nudity in a Hammer film certainly would be hard to find as all TV prints would be edited and even theatrical versions tended to be milder in order to get the certificates to let in the kids. However, the 16mm prints of the US theatrical version of 'The Vampire Lovers' include most of the nudity and I think 16mm prints of 'Scars of Dracula' are completely unut, as it was an 'R' in the USA.

I think it may have been Ged Jones who told me that there was only one print of 'Frankenstein ATMFH' in their library - I'm sure it was a Derann staff member.

I like 'The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue', so if you still have one print and decide to sell, please let me know. I borrowed and screened one of Derann's prints from a friend who obtained one about 1990. He just beat me to it at Blackpool, as Derann were selling a large batch of prints that had been returned to them, once an arrangement to lease them to Glenbuck had ended. I asked him to let me know if he sold it, but he didn't! Perry's also offered a print (can't say of it was a Derann library print) on eBay in the last year, but did a private deal so the auction didn't reach a conclusion.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 19, 2012 10:09 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian,yes the print Perry's had was the one I sold Ian.A lot of
the prints that the US had were censored, as this is what partly
led to Hammers demise as the US was their biggest market. I have
a nice 16mm of "When Dinosaurs" that has the nude swimming scene excised,it leaves the impression that you can show the
most horrific deaths but not a flash of any naughty bits.I did read somewhere that a collector had imported a print of "Lust for A Vampire" that was censored and red to boot! I honestly
can't recall ever seeing a print of "Frankenstein" after Peter offered me his film, I kick myself now,but I was buying them from all over at the time and just had to pass on that one.
The almost unbearable thought is that a lot of these films will
be almost certainly junked,as folks think they have little if any value. i would if I were you pursue the Paris firm as they would
know if a print was "knocking about".

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2012 01:21 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a sign that these very rare or unkown prints can surface - right now on Ebay UK is a reel from Dr. Terror's House of Horrors which was orgininally released as a three-reeler out of the Netherlands. There are Dutch subtitles but the cover art is great! I would bid but it's not open to the U.S. I had heard of this being on super 8 but had never really seen one. It's nice to discover something new...

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2012 01:37 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FILM OFFICE from France release 2 extracts from "frankenstein and the monster from hell". The first is the creation of the monster. The second one is the end of the monster. Each extract made +- 300ft and great colors.

I've both extracts and it's a rare item. I've never seen this on ebay. I've bought them from a belgian collector.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2012 01:48 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Confirmation they exist... now there's something else to hunt down...

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 19, 2012 03:46 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, you've started something now,Brian's going to be trawling
the Continent for this.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2012 04:09 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange this is - as soon as I sent that last message I turned on the TV and Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell was on one of the movie channels! It's a sign that the super 8 version can't be far away...

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 19, 2012 04:57 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a premonition Brian,could've been worse,might have been
"The Sound of Music", now that would have been a horror story!

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2012 08:37 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, what''s wrong with The Sound of Music?!

Adrian, any memories of that Hammer Convention in the 80's? If I only had a time machine!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 20, 2012 01:14 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Adrian,but I attended Bray 2 with all the
Hammer stars & directors etc and stayed at Oakley Court.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC