8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » I've paid this for a feature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I've paid this for a feature
Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2012 11:47 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=271032795322&nma=true&rt=nc&si=sqkjBr93sLH%252Fjz5dNW4gHencIbI%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=tr ue&rt=nc#ht_500wt_1192

I remember seeing Foster's having this for half that. Sometimes bidders are crazy.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 18, 2012 12:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Cow! That's quite a high price for that. I must be said however, that there were very few prints of this wonderful short made. can anybody vouch for how many? (perhaps one Gary?)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 18, 2012 07:41 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how many prints there were but I can say that there were a few more than the 'official version' (i.e. one batch of 10, if I remember rightly) of the story!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 19, 2012 07:12 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It used to appear for the "new" price on the used lists an unnatural amount of times.

As I remember it, there were two trial prints and then a production batch of six, before the negative was (umm..) damaged.

It's interesting how fickle the market is. There was a W&G on E-bay about two years ago as a featured sale (stuck at the top). The first time it didn't meet the reserve, the second it barely got the as new price back.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 19, 2012 08:50 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the 'official' batch was probably 10, because when it was released, I think over 6 members here were amongst those who obtained prints, but a search here might clarify that.

There was also an extraordinary story about a small number of faulty prints that were basically fine, but had a few black frames somewhere that you had to splice out. It would be interesting to know if anyone bought such a print.

Officially, it wasn't just the 'Grand Day Out' negative that was damaged, the same thing happened to the 2 other W&G releases that were due to follow soon afterwards.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2012 11:38 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, It would be nice to do a 'search' but I think most of the W&G discussion got deleated [Mad] . Doug, is there any way we can re-enable the posts now that Derann has gone. I would love to read all the old reviews on it.

Ive always guessed there are at least 30 prints in circulation and I remember at a previous BFCC Derann had a copy with a 'lab splice' in it for £60. I didnt buy it but someone else did on that day. Not sure how many copies had 'lab splices' in them, or other faults as mentioned above.

Its still a rare film which is why it gets a high price but It seems to appear for sale more often than say Never Say Never Again or others.

Graham S

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 19, 2012 12:07 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember 6 members having bought it, of course that doesn't rule out there being more from outside this Forum and folks that bought them but didn't say so.

Yes, I also remember the day all three negatives were (umm) damaged...it was s tragic day in the history of the 8mm Cinema!

"The Wrong Trousers" would have been worth it just for the toy train chase alone!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 19, 2012 04:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got one print from Derann long ago, I think its got one lab splice but other than that the print has really nice colour. I told my wife about this topic today, she says good, now you can sell it [Eek!] ...no way!... [Cool]

Graham.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 19, 2012 05:03 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham S.,

Unfortunately, once a thread is deleted it is gone never to return.

I do recall thinking that the majority of prints ended up with U.S. collectors.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2012 05:26 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Doug for that reply. Its a shame but I now know its gone for good.

Graham S

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2012 05:10 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got one, and it has a lab splice (I think).

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC