8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What is the One Film that you...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the One Film that you...
Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2012 07:39 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the One Film that you no longer have that you wish you had kept? [Mad]

I had a Like New Splice Free print on High Silver Content B&W stock of "Dracula" the Full Length Feature. The Quality was so outstanding that it made you feel creepy watching the spooky atmospheric scenes. [Eek!]

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

|  IP: Logged

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2012 07:53 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lion King, and, Who Framed Roger Rabbit. While I have a replacement Roger Rabbit, mine was pristine, this one isn't. Would love to have Lion King back... seems when I find one, funds are available to purchase. One day. Sigh. Mufassa!

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2012 02:04 AM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe how long ago did you have that print?
Austin

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2012 09:18 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was in 16mm Austin, and a Original struck in the late 1950s. If any full length prints exist in Super 8mm, they are not originals so the quality would not match. As far as I know, the title exists only in 200' & 400' Digests in S8.

--------------------

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2012 09:33 AM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 16MM prints of DR. PHIBES ( The second reel had English subtitles although the sound was in English , color was excellent )
And THE LAST DAYS OF SODOM AND GOMORRAH ( 1962 )with Stanley Baker , mounted on 2 55 min. reels and 1 45 min. reel . Color and sound was also excellent .

--------------------
Dave

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 03, 2012 09:55 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently sold my black and white print of Spellbound , and almost immediately regretted it. But, I learned a lesson, and that is never to part with a film unless you are absolutely sure that you will never want to watch it again. The financial gain of selling a film is very short lived, and is forgotten in a couple of weeks, whereas the loss of the film is permanent.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2012 10:02 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And because the number of prints released by now defunct companies is finite, the odds of obtaining a replacement print diminish with the passage of time. I had put a film up for sale that I had not viewed in years. Didn't have to worry about its condition as it was bought new and in B&W. When it didn't sell, I watched it again one evening. I enjoyed it so much that I am glad I still have it! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2012 12:49 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a print of Dracula the feature a couple. months back and it sold for a little over $350 it did not have screen shots thou it would be interesting to see.
austib

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2012 01:46 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Austin is right. Here's is that print: link.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2012 03:00 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That print sold because not many prints were struck. But it has a sound problem and is on color stock. It fetched that price because its in S8S. But with those quality issues, its overpriced. Mine looked like 35mm and it cost me less. Obviously it was worth that much to the buyer, but I wouldn't have bought it at that price. And if I was going to spend that much, the print would have to have no issues. Universal Horror features always fetch a good price for the seller. They always have for years and will continue to do so. If I wanted to, I could have replaced the print over the years. But it would cost me a lot more and prints on High Silver Content B&W stock are harder to find. If I was going to spend as much as what that print sold for I would buy it 16mm though it would cost even more.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 13, 2012 04:20 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
The one film I wish I'd never sold,that's a hard one ( as the young
lady said to the vicar) as I've parted company with so many.I
suppose it would have to be the one I'm looking for now, which I
have had,not once but twice in both 8mm gauges and that is
the little "B" movie "The Monster of Piedras Blancas" which was
put out by Mountain/Heritage some years back.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC