8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Star Wars 400' Versions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Wars 400' Versions
Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 21, 2012 08:01 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do the Star Wars F64 and F48 versions differ. Can they be edited together for a longer version of the film?

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 21, 2012 08:28 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat there is a classic thread here written by JM how to make it a longest version of Star Wars from the available digests sold.

May be JM can retrive that post?

--------------------
Winbert

Matthew Green
Junior

- posted September 21, 2012 09:31 AM      Profile for Matthew Green   Email Matthew Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that this is the thread you are refering to:
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000045

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 21, 2012 10:34 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Matthew, thanks...may be that one, but what I remember JM also included the German version. So perhaps there is another thread about this.

BTW, this is your second post...so it is not to late to say WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

--------------------
Winbert

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 21, 2012 10:53 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WELCOME TO THE FORUM MATT!!!!!!!!!!

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 21, 2012 10:54 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WELCOME TO THE FORUM MATT!!!!!!!!!!

Well after reading all that info in the review I'm still confused. However, I am going to buy the one on ebay and make a 800' version! [Wink]

Matthew Green
Junior

- posted September 21, 2012 01:55 PM      Profile for Matthew Green   Email Matthew Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the kind welcome. I am new to the hobby - I've had my grandfather's home films and projector for a few years and finally got it up and running a few weeks ago.

I then purchased a few titles on Ebay to watch with the kids. Unfortunately a couple of them would not run through projector. Internet searches to figure out what the problem was brought me to this forum.

I now know that films may need some lube.

Anyway, I have the 200' Ken Color Silent version of Star Wars. I hope to get the 2 400' films and join them someday. Of course, I do not have a sound projector yet, but I've got my eyes open.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 21, 2012 05:38 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK...I think I mistakenly think JM wrote for Star Wars.

Here it is:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000088

Indeed at the above post JM says he edited all 5 reels of SW but does not go further how to edit that but he does for another title "My Name is Nobody"

--------------------
Winbert

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 22, 2012 08:25 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll have to check another forum for my full details of the edit.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 22, 2012 12:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The interesting thig about all of this, is that there were others versions of this as a digest on super 8. It was released in France in a number of 200ft version, ( I think there were 5 total), and I have always been curious as to whether there was any footage that was in those that are not in the Ken or Marketing versions.

It was also released in Japan, but from what I hear, it was the Ken Films version in japanese boxes.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 22, 2012 02:38 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Italy, not France. 7 extracts.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 22, 2012 04:37 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it was from Italy.

But correction JM, it is not 7 extracts but 6. I wrote special post about that here:

6 extract 200' from Italy

and also good reading here:

Star Wars IV (3 x 400)....is available, and even Star Wars VI

--------------------
Winbert

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 23, 2012 03:27 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, 7 extracts :
"Battaglia Spaziale", "Duello col Laser", "La Capttura dell'Astronave", "La Liberazione di Leia", "Messaggio dallo spazio", "SOS nella Galassia" and "Trappola Mortale".

--------------------

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2012 04:00 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit late to the discussion, but I had the two Ken 400' reels of STAR WARS (the 1977 film, before it was called "Episode IV.) I was tempted to cut them into the correct sequence, but they "looked" very different, as if struck from completely different sources. Also, I think they had a slightly different focal adjustment, which would have meant manually correcting every time the re-edited digest switched from one reel's material to the other.

The 200' reel, which came out before either of the 400' ones, did have a bit of extra footage, but it was pretty insubstantial, and was wisely cut to make room for more interesting stuff when it was expanded into the first 400' digest.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 23, 2012 05:23 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right, Marshall about focal and stock.

For those interested, here's the text-only version of my article archived on my website:

- Click Here

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2012 06:05 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the 2 Ken extracts as well (and the 200 footer). Back in the 70's, it was all the rage for a collector to edit all three of these extracts together, and make a nice, long digest for Star Wars.

But, as Marshall stated, the films looked too different, one being more grainy than the other. The sound differed as well. Plus, there are a few scenes that don't transition smoothly in the post-splicing, so it makes it feel a little off.

That being said, these handicaps were EASILY overlooked back in the 70's, when having an almost hour-long digest of Star Wars was a very special privelage.

On the other hand, the Ken Films digest for The Empire Strikes Back, flows much better when the two 400 foot extracts are spliced together. There is only a slight difference in picture and sound, and only the one splice for transition.

James.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 25, 2012 07:41 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
The difference in the 200' & 400' extracts was down to the
individual labs that processed them, as there was a marked difference between the 200' extracts,much the same as there
was with the "Superman" 3x400 and the extra footage that could
be added at the end to make that featurette end properly from
the 400' clip.I found that the first part of Empire had far better
print quality than the second part, unfortunately I had to replace it due to Elmo scratches, and the replacemant had poorer print and missing the Millenium Falcon "looping the loop"
at the end of the asteroid sequence.I spliced the missing footage on the replacement, but the difference in print is very
apparent.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC