8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Re record help issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Re record help issue
David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2012 05:10 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

I have a copy of "Down to you Brother" - a Walton episode of the Sweeney on 2x600ft - my problem is there is a sound drop out which I would like to sort out - I have an elmo 1200hd is it at all possible via dvd to re record the sound track? Any advice would be appreciated as I've never tried this before - so a step by step instruction would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Dave Skillern

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 22, 2012 07:48 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, Sorry im able to help you with the issue in hand, but i lso have a copy of this episode, also Ringer and i want the man.
Both down to you Brother and Ringer now show signs of colour fade, but i want the man is still 1st class, what is your print like please? [Wink]

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2012 08:23 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,

I have Ringer and Down to you brother - colour and sound for Ringer is good - colour is good for Down to you Brother - it's just that the sound drops out for about 1 minute in reel one when a conversation takes place between actors Terence Budd and Kenny Lynch.

David

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2012 09:48 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you even try to re-record sound on your print, you should try to figure out what the problem is down to; otherwise you have no guarantee that the same drop out will not be still there once the stripe is re-recorded.

If the drop out is due to a faulty striping process, then you won't be able to get any better sound. Other reasons for this problem are either exposure to a strong magnetic field (but I can't figure out how it would affect only about a minute of film) or something went wrong during the original sound transfer. In both cases the problem can be fixed. But first of all my advice is to check the part of the print with the problem to see if the soundstripe has a consistent distance to the film edge: even minimal inconsistency may cause porr sound reproduction especially at the higher end of the frequnecy spectrum. In fact, if this is the case, there's nothing to do except - may - remove the old stripe and have the print restriped. But this is a process which usually yelds very poor results as the stripe surface ends up with being not even enough and drop-outs might result all the way through.

Also a thorough description of the problem could help

--------------------
Maurizio

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 22, 2012 10:07 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello David, if the sound stripe on your print looks okay and hasn't
been rubbed away and there is no existant sound on that piece
of film,then try a test record for a couple of seconds just to check
if the oxide is picking up a signal.If it's okay then it won't be too
difficult to rerecord the missing dialogue.I have done it in the
past with a Carry On that Derann had fowled up on, and various
foreign versions of films, plus the Americoms,without any synchronisers only a cassette recorder.

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2012 02:41 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for some advice - but as i've never tried to re-record anything before - I really wanted a step by step idiot proof guide on what to do and what connectors I need to get for my Elmo 1200hd and could I use a a digital recorder to store the soundtrack for transference to the projector ?

David

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 25, 2012 02:58 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well David, my advice for what it's worth is first to familiarise yourself with your projectors recording ability.Get yourself some
scrap film,with stripe of course,and practice recording from a
second sound source,like a tape recorder etc.The needle on your
projector will register when a signal is being recorded by rapid
movements,if it ventures into the red area of the readout,then
you must alter the incoming signal on the record control,
situated at the rear of your machine.The needle must be kept
within that boundary,or over recording will occur and distort
the recorded sound.I don't know about recording sound via a
computer,but there are plenty of skilled people on the forum that can aid you in that respect.Regarding recording a short
section,this I have done,with satisfactory results,as well as
rerecording various featurettes.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC