8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Lost World in 8mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Lost World in 8mm
Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2012 09:19 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an opportunity to buy a print of the Lost World in 8mm. It's a Griegg-Moviedrome print. Anyone with experience with this print?

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 27, 2012 09:27 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If that's the 1926 version it is silent. The special effects are a bit stiff but good for the time it was done. It's a classic for sure. I don't remember who did the special effects for it. I had a print but sold it a year ago.

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2012 11:28 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pasquale-yes thanks for your reply, I was aware that it is the silent film from 1926. but was wondering if there were other prints other than Griggs Moviedrome and what quality it was. ..

edit- I should have just used the search feature here (duh)

Osi Osgood sez-"I have a print of this feature as well. It came on five very full standard 8mm reels. The film stock is "S Gevaert Belgium 1S", so this would place it somewhat earlier, as I don't think Gevaert Belgium has been used for quite awhile.

I Don't Know who "Griggs" was, but perhaps this person or company manufactured this print.

All the reels have VERY full original leaders to them, and there is no film company markings at all, just the title and which reel it is.

I must say that I was VERY impressed with the contrast and grain on this print, the sharpness was also very good for a silent print, but the negative also had a greater amount of damage than you would usually expect, so I doubt that this could have been a DErann release, (at least, not mine.)

I don't know if any of my info helps."

It helps me. I think I"ll get this for the kids and hope it's the same quality. i can always return if the feature is a bad print. Thanks Osi and Pasquale

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 27, 2012 11:52 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Richard,this little film has had many incarnations over the
years being released by various disributors,The 6 reel version
was the one that has been common over the years,as the
original full length version was thought lost,actually being purposely destroyed as the rumour around after it's release was
that a sound version would be made (actually being King Kong)
thankfully a full version was discovered in Czechoslovakia in 1992 and makes for a viewing treat.It was Willis O'Briens debut
in the Cinema,apart from one or two little shorts,paved the way
for the enduring Kong.If someone is selling a print for $30.00
Richard, I think thats pretty good, in the UK, the price would
be in the region of £25-£35.00.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2012 01:22 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blackhawk Films sold the standard 50 minute and an abridged release.
The source material is from the Kodascopes that were used for assemblies at churches, etc.

The son of Donald Lee may have more info on the subject.
Try sending him a PM on the 16mm Film talk Forum,
and please let us know the outcome?

16mm Film Talk Forum

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC