8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo Take up Arm Problem-Solved

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo Take up Arm Problem-Solved
Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2012 11:50 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought an almost pristine Elmo 1200 ST except for one thing. The take up arm spindle is not turning. I opened the back and noticed that the white gears are turning with strength. When I try and turn the spindle where the film takeup is it turns the gears with resistance. There is no free play. I also noticed on the rearmost gear pictured, that the gear turns but not the spring mechanism in front of it. Is that normal? Any help appreciated, can post more pics or movie on request. The Elmo has been in storage for many years and was lightly used when in operation.

-

Ps sorry for the double post. I put this inadvertently in Equip for sale.

|  IP: Logged

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2012 12:21 PM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi!richard,it appears to me if you open the back of the take up arm,maybe it,s some gear can be broken from the spear,or maybe dirty,

regards;
luis caramelo

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 04, 2012 12:24 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try lubricating the hub with very light oil. I use sewing machine oil. You only need a drop or two. The see if it turns .

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2012 01:05 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks both

Pasquale do you know if there is clip that is missing on the hub pictured?

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2012 09:29 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The gent who sold me the projector can also fix these and gave me these directions via email to fix the Elmo St1200 to like new operating condition. I thought I'd post the fix for this particular problem for the record:

"I see lubricant on the gear that may have gotten into this (clutch) assembly which may be resolved by loosening the allen key and removing the gear and metal collar for cleaning and adjustment. If this is the clutch assembly then there should be a compression washer or material between the teflon gear and the metal collar that should be cleaned and then recompressed (the stronger the compression, the stronger the takeup torque). Just not too tight.. the takeup reel/spindle needs to slip or it can break the film at a splice or a brittle area."

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC