8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bell and howell filmosonic DCR - scratching

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell and howell filmosonic DCR - scratching
Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2012 10:59 AM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the process of moving house, and have only just been able to test my Bell and Howell filmosonic DCR sound projector, bought and paid on the 6th, recieved on the 10th. It seems to be putting very faint lines in films, only two camera-originals was run through this one (test footage), and scratching is only visible on the far right side of the image and only in clear sections of the film, but get deeper as it is played more. All camera original reversals i usually use my prinz magnon projector. I do not want to run any prints or any more camera-originals. I paid £150 for this projector just under a month ago and am not too happy... There is also alot of rust on the inside metal casing, and on the shutter and gate. This one has mono sound but seems nice in every other way, apart from this little problem!

45 days have not elapsed since buying it on ebay, should I ask to return this for a full refund?

I cannot buy another one until I have moved house though, i bought this projector just before me having to move came up!

Jacob

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2012 03:26 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you run your camera originals "green" even through a good projector, you might get scratching. Treating them with lubricant first is a must.

I can't speak to the projector issue, but others here know that machine and will hopefully speak up.

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2012 04:37 PM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for personals, would film guard be a good idea? I don't know too much about it.

Jacob

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2012 08:46 AM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update: I asked the seller about returning, he refused to refund the postage price along with the projector cost, postage price being £20. He tried to make out that if i could run such a test as to use test films, why did I not ask him to do so before buying. (No faults were listed in the description, it was made out to be fully working), and stated if £140 was not good enough we could 'skip returning the projector'. So i opened a dispute and he began to process the full refund within moments and I am sending the projector back today.

Scratching two test films in the same places in that way is not a fully working projector.

I am going to invest in film guard as well.

I am looking for another decent sound projector of good quality, I will not be able to get it until I have moved. What models or projectors are recommended? Unless anyone here has a decent one they would be willing to sell in around a month's time in the UK.

Jacob [Smile]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2012 10:39 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, FilmGuard is highly recommended and is great for camera originals as well as package films. It may even help reduce the visibility of your new scratches.

I recently did a scratch test by running a virgin loop of film, lubricated, through an Eumig 810D. Other than a little dust it picked up, I couldn't tell it had been run when completed. That was 80 runs through the projector. But it's not stereo.

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2012 07:21 AM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be investing in that once moved, it's also good for polyester films from what I have read, many lubricants are not good for polyester films :/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC