8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Scope 35mm Lenses

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scope 35mm Lenses
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 18, 2012 03:00 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the demise of 35mm projection in the cinema these days there should be plenty of Scope lenses around.

I have been using this one for a while, but lately managed to improve its mounting, as they are very very heavy. [Frown] Although many might say that the minimum focus range eg 50feet as with this one, many of those lenses will continue to focus down past that minimum stop. [Cool] In the photos below its about 25feet from the lens to screen and it works well.
 -
.....Da..Da...
 -
the great thing now is I dont have to muck around setting things up, simply hinge the lens up or down.
 -
 -
 -
A couple of screen shots from "The NeverEnding Story" also on this made up Scope reel of mine, is "She Flies" its about the first flight of "Concorde" with narration by Raymond Baxter 1969. This particular short film, really comes across very well presented in the Scope format.

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 19, 2012 05:43 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Judging by those screen shots Graham,it doesn't just work well,
it's perfect.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 19, 2012 06:49 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job, Graham.
Food for thoughts : Recent Schneider Cinelux lenses from the 35mm world are considerably smaller, lighter and can focus at a minimal range of 10ft.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 19, 2012 09:27 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With the demise of 35mm projection in the cinema these days there should be plenty of Scope lenses around.
Aren't scope lenses no longer used for a long time since most 35mm cinemas used cropping frames?

--------------------
Winbert

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 19, 2012 09:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the days of film, cropping in cinemas was used for variable ratios of wide-screen films, i.e. non-anamorphic.

For true squeezed 35mm prints (CinemaScope) an anamorphic lens was needed to expand the almost square frame.

--------------------
Maurice

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2012 10:19 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Looks good! That appears to be the same "golden Isco" lens I have, and while they indeed are big beasts, they work beautifully for Super-8 and 16mm.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 20, 2012 02:39 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks [Smile]

Its amazing the size of picture that we can project from a narrow strip of 8mm film. [Smile] ..it looks good.

Graham.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC