8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Newbie help please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newbie help please
Rob Arnold
Junior

- posted November 19, 2012 04:13 PM      Profile for Rob Arnold   Email Rob Arnold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am really sorry but I wasn't sure where else to turn to after searching high and low on the web.

My financee and I want to allow our wedding guests to take pictures on old vintage cameras and I thought it would be a good idea to allow them to use a super 8 camera too.

I have just purchased my first ever super 8 camera on eBay (EUMIG Viennette 8) and I need help with 2 questions.

1) Is if best to buy Ektachrome 100d or Ektachrome 64t to use with the camera?

2) Is there a typical setting for indoors that the average guest will be able to use to give ok results?

Thanks for any help given

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 19, 2012 04:26 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob,

This is a really cool idea: I had thought about handing a friend a Super-8 camera when I got married but never got around to it!

Super-8 and low light have never really been good friends with each other. A film fast enough for good exposure will be grainy on screen due to the small frame size. A film slow enough for minimal grain will take a lot of light for decent exposures.

Back in the day people mounted movie lights on their cameras to light up the darkness. They were hot, needed a place to plug in and so bright they disturbed any semblance of candid filming.

Since you seem to be into a Retro look maybe the stock you should be interested in is Kodak Tri-X. It's black and white, fairly grainy, but faster than 100D and 64T and would get you better results under subdued lighting.

Kodak Tri-X

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Rob Arnold
Junior

- posted November 20, 2012 03:29 AM      Profile for Rob Arnold   Email Rob Arnold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for the advice Steve - much appreciated.

Just to check. do you happen to know if Kodak Tri-X will work with the Eumig Viennette 8 ?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 20, 2012 08:24 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything I'm seeing for this camera is telling me it should be fine with Tri-X. This is 160 ASA film and that was pretty standard back then.

Before you commit yourself you should actually expose a roll of film, not so much for the sake of the film itself but the camera. It's pushing 40 years old and it might be OK, or maybe not. (PS: once you expose your film, do you have any way to see the results?)

I have the Bolex version of this camera, and it seems pretty well made. You should do fine with it.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 20, 2012 09:08 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Steve about using black & white film. The camera settings will handle the exposure OK.

But do not use colour unless you are going to use it outdoors for which the daylight stock is the most suitable. Tungsten film for indoor use is only compatible with proper photo-lights, only these will give the correct colour balance.

The exposure is automatic, as is the ASA setting, the latter being actuated by a cut-out on the film cassette which mates with a pin inside the camera.

Use fresh AA batteries, preferably Duracell. Do not use rechargeable batteries as their output voltage is less.

But, first of all, make sure you can get the film processed after its exposure.

Good luck.

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 20, 2012 10:28 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the day,there were S/8 cine cameras that could expose
in ordinary room lighting using colour film, so eliminating the
use of movie lights. They were called XL, and Bolex,Minolta,
Chinon,Canon,Elmo etc all made them.The reason they could do this was because of fast lenses and the use of a larger open angled
shutter that enabled more light to pass through, and it could be further improved on with a faster film.

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2012 08:00 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im sure you have to set the filter to Tungsten when using 100d (and not the daylight setting) I have used 100d in low light situations, ie just broad daylight coming in thru room windows and the results have been pretty good. In the old days of K40 no way would I have shot indoors with out arc lamps, but the 100d seemed to manage it just fine.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2012 07:49 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are not likely to get a do-over on the wedding film. Even if the camera and operator work out correctly, you will need to reload the camera, more than likely. I would strongly suggest that someone with a digital camera take movies also.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC