8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sound head cleaning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sound head cleaning
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 23, 2012 12:16 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my Eumig Mark-S 710D has a little variable sound, or it might be the copy of Star Wars I've got ... But is it easy to clean the sound heads? Do I need to take the whole sound head parts out or is it something I can do without disassembling it?

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 24, 2012 07:37 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Vidar, I clean the sound path and heads on my Eumigs with
a flat piece of balsa wood with a lens tissue wrapped around it soaked in Methylated Spirit, the reason I use a bit of wood is
because as you know any metals would scratch. If your set up
doesn't allow for this ( if there isn't the room) then you could use
a piece of scrap film with a bit of thin cloth attached soaked in
spirit, then pull back & forth through the path to remove any debris that might have collected.This is quite safe and won't
harm your heads.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 24, 2012 11:20 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super tip ... Not sure what's easiest, but will check it out. It was however the volume knob that has a problem. I twisted it back and forth a bit and the sound got normal. I think there is a spray available for this

Thanks again

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 24, 2012 02:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar,

Please look back through your posts.

A few days back I answered one of your questions with Paul Adsett's instructions on disassembling and cleaning Eumig heads.

(Topic: "How to clean the film path on Eumig?: November 20th.)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 24, 2012 03:58 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know, but that is too heavy for me :-/

Don't want to take it apart

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 24, 2012 04:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand. I work in electronics professionally, I work on my own car and basically built a new projector from the wreckage of two dead ones, but still when I saw those instructions I was a little concerned.

Take it one step at a time and it's actually not that bad!

It's the best thing too: it gets you directly to the heads so you can be sure you are really getting them clean.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC