8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Of Snow White and color/film restoration ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Of Snow White and color/film restoration ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 25, 2012 08:44 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a print of this film that I will be auctioning off shortly on ebay for a friend (Fred K again), but there is a part of me that wishes that I didn’t have to …

I have been comparing this print that was made much earlier on super 8, with the Disney/Derann print, so this print here is un-official. However it is about the best un-official print I have ever ran into. The sharpness is not quite up to the Disney/Derann print of Snow White (obviously, as it is not taken from a Disney archives negative), but it fascinates, just the same.

Why …?

This print here is before the color/film restoration of the 90’s, and is therefore the original release version. But, it becomes apparent that the Disney studio not only restored the film, but certainly color enhanced the film to their own liking, and not by Walt’s design.

One of the most surprising examples is right after the dwarves give Grumpy his bath. We return to the wicked queen, who is showing off her box with what she thinks is Snow Whites heart. In this sequence, (as with others in the film) the magic mirror sequences are a lovely variation of greens and blues to the swirling substances in the mirror, which does give it an eerie glow.

In the restored version, this same scene has a magnenta and purplish color to the whole scene. In fact, the only trace of green to it is the “apparition” in the mirror, which has slight hint of green. I personally feel that the original version was much better. It should be noted that the wicked queen ands her shots back and forth are pretty much the same … it’s just the shots of the mirror, which shows that it was a deliberate choice on the part of the Disney studio to change that color spectrum.

Why? Perhaps the Disney studio wanted to give the mirror a “satanic” element perhaps. For whatever reason, it was done.

… but then, this makes the super 8 early 80’s print that much more collectible, seeing the film as, I believe, Walt intended it, as, if Walt wanted a magnenta magic mirror, he would have made it that way, after all, the color magnenta didn’t just start existing in the 90’s. Therefore, my desire to keep this for myself, but I can’t.

I know who released this back in the 80’s, but I will not reveal the person, (and please, anybody else who knows, please do not reveal the person, as they still exist today, and we wouldn’t want the “Disney mafia” after the persons arse)!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC