8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How best to scan old rare color movies from the 30s ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How best to scan old rare color movies from the 30s ?
Ian Spring
Junior

- posted November 29, 2012 04:36 AM      Profile for Ian Spring     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi guys.
I have a collection of more than 50 8mm private color home movies taken in american and also france, germany, england and scotland from 1935 to 1945.
I think i really should scan them and put them on dvd before its too late and they fade away.
already a few are starting to smell of vinegar.

But I want to be very careful about how i scan these.
some of them are very rare and delicate and I dont want them being burned or damaged by some small unprofessional film transfer company.
I think there are a lot of people with a crappy projector and digital camera and thats how they professionally scan your films... oh god :-(

so any tips?
thanks.
Ian

--------------------
Collecting 1940's photo slides and home movies for 8 years :-)

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2012 01:27 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,

I recommend looking for a place that uses a Workprinter HD setup unless you have the funds for a full-on pro telecine facility.

I had some 1960es Kodachrome Reg-8mm film I had to get transferred for a friend and I found a place with this setup. It scanned natively in full 1080 with the option of a backup file in SD. The scans were gorgeous, as the unit does scan each frame separately.

Just make sure you get references for the individual running it and spell out the delicate nature of the films. They may need a cleaning or conditioning before going through the machine.

Here's a link to the sales site for the unit, just for you to look at; I have no connection with the company:

http://www.moviestuff.tv/wp_hd.html

Best of luck with it.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC