8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Canon 814 Autozoom First Movie - KODAK EKTACHROME 100D

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canon 814 Autozoom First Movie - KODAK EKTACHROME 100D
Juan Carlos Tudose
Junior

- posted December 01, 2012 10:16 AM      Profile for Juan Carlos Tudose   Author's Homepage   Email Juan Carlos Tudose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody, first post here.

My name is Juan Carlos and I love film!

I bought my first Super 8 camera at the tender age of 43 (never too late, huh?) and I shot my first Ektachrome 100D a couple months ago.

The movie is mostly dark and I'd like to find out why with your precious help.

When the reel and the DVD with the movie came back from the lab (Blue Cine Tech, UK) it had a note from the technician that says:

quote:
There appears to be a significant problem with the lightmeter on this camera, whenever it is pointed towards something bright the aperture seems to stop down far too much, making the image really dark. Possibly it is something else, but the metering and aperture seems really far too erratic throughout.
You can view the full movie here:

s8 test

I shot the movie without any ND filter and since it was a very bright sunny day, the exposure needle was always at the left end of the scale (iris almost close), which at the moment made me think it was quite a problem.

Exposure was set to Auto.

In the last part of the movie I was at home with very low artificial light and a blue filter: The result is all black.

The camera manual says to use a ND filter in case of excessive light and use additional light in case of low ambient light.

-

The camera is in almost mint conditions, with barely visible signs of use, very strange for a 40+ years old camera.

My question is this: Is the lack of use of ND filters the reason why the images are dark?

I'd like to use the camera for wedding films and I have to know if it's the case for buying another camera.

I'll be posting this thread on other forums, so please excuse if you will find it elsewhere.

Thanks for your help!

Regards.

--------------------
Juan Carlos Montero Tudose

=======================
One Happy FilmMaker™

T+F -- +39 0381 325 522
M -- +39 339 297 0384
E -- info@tvitaliaweb.tv
Skype -- tvitaliaweb

www.unmatrimoniodafavola.tv
www.tvitaliaweb.tv

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2012 11:22 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Juan Carlos, Welcome to the Forum. An ND filter may help outdoors in daylight with the Ektachrome film, but manual exposure settings may be needed, and additional light for indoors using the auto setting. There is some nice color saturation on your film.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Juan Carlos Tudose
Junior

- posted December 01, 2012 02:08 PM      Profile for Juan Carlos Tudose   Author's Homepage   Email Juan Carlos Tudose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe, thanks for the reply!

Do you meak I should get an external light meter, bypass the internal one and close the iris manually?

Wow, that's a lot to do with only two hands... [Wink]

=======================
One Happy FilmMaker™

T+F -- +39 0381 325 522
M -- +39 339 297 0384
E -- info@tvitaliaweb.tv
Skype -- tvitaliaweb

www.tvitaliaweb.tv

--------------------

=======================
One Happy FilmMaker™

T+F -- +39 0381 325 522
M -- +39 339 297 0384
E -- info@tvitaliaweb.tv
Skype -- tvitaliaweb

www.tvitaliaweb.tv

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 01, 2012 02:43 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Juan

I would agree with Joe on auto, it seems to be all over the place. Taking control on manual with an external light meter would be worth trying. The down side with shooting film indoors is that you need plenty of light. Is your Canon 814 the "XL low light" model.

However the colour and everything else does look really good.

Graham.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2012 05:25 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing your film I think an ND filter is definitely needed for shooting with Ektachrome film in daylight on auto exposure. You also need to consider your shooting angles, like scenes where the foreground is dark and the background is bright. That really messes up the auto exposure control. And like Graham said, indoor shooting with Ektachrome, even though it is "low light" capable, will usually require a lot more light, with no filter, to get nice results.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Juan Carlos Tudose
Junior

- posted December 03, 2012 04:22 PM      Profile for Juan Carlos Tudose   Author's Homepage   Email Juan Carlos Tudose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reply!

Mine is the plain jane 814.

Since I see a lot of Super 8 wedding filmmakers doing indoor shots with apparently no additional light I always wonder how they do...

Right now I'm looking at a XL model to compensate the poor low light capabilities of my 814.

Will keep you updated...

[Smile]

=======================
One Happy FilmMaker™

T+F -- +39 0381 325 522
M -- +39 339 297 0384
E -- info@tvitaliaweb.tv
Skype -- tvitaliaweb

www.tvitaliaweb.tv

--------------------

=======================
One Happy FilmMaker™

T+F -- +39 0381 325 522
M -- +39 339 297 0384
E -- info@tvitaliaweb.tv
Skype -- tvitaliaweb

www.tvitaliaweb.tv

--------------------

=======================
One Happy FilmMaker™

T+F -- +39 0381 325 522
M -- +39 339 297 0384
E -- info@tvitaliaweb.tv
Skype -- tvitaliaweb

www.tvitaliaweb.tv

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC