8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » magnetic soundtrack

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: magnetic soundtrack
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2012 01:44 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this add thickness to the film? I have a film that was stripped which is silent and my copy fits on a 400-ft reel fine, this copy with just the main track no balance brings the film to the edge of the reel.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 14, 2012 01:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it does, and there are reels that have different markings for sound and silent footage as a result.

It's nowhere near double the thickness, but it's enough to make a difference.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 14, 2012 01:57 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why the balance track is necessary. Otherwise it has different high if only main track is striped resulting imbalance focus.

The initial aim to put the balance track is the above reason not to make stereo sound or second language. And that is why it is called "balance track" not "Right (or Left) channel" like most audio tapes do.

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 14, 2012 05:59 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
On the EUMIG spools Jim,the footage markings are shown for snd
and slt.If you are suffering one side of your picture being slightly out of focus,there is sometimes a little screw on the front of the
gate that can be adjusted to bring uniformity to your picture.
The ELMO's and FUMEO's have this very important feature, and
the adjustment can be made while the film is running,I can now
do it with the Fumeo,since I changed the screw around.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 14, 2012 08:19 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lens screw adjustment that Hugh alluded to on the Elmo's is a nice feature for getting the best focus uniformity. Only trouble is it is buried down deep behind the lens and is a pain to get at. Would have been nice if Elmo had done what Beaulieu did - have a proper adjusting knob which is totally accessible while running the film.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2012 08:40 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks i will have to look for that on my elmo. [Smile]

--------------------
jim schrader

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2012 01:26 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I never heard back from anybody that was recommended so I took actions into my own hands I carefully layed out the film with the problem area exposed, taped it off and used some sticky adhesive that my wife uses for scrap booking. I masked off the frames leaving just the main soundtrack area and ran this sticky stuff across it then layed the sound track back on it and used the edge of my tweezers to run across the track to make sure it was flat, I then ran the film to see how it sounded I could not tell.

--------------------
jim schrader

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 17, 2012 02:47 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad it worked Jim,I couldn't see why a contact adhesive wouldn't
do the job.

Antonio Costa Mota
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2012 07:31 PM      Profile for Antonio Costa Mota   Email Antonio Costa Mota   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul you mention Beaulieu but I think you mean Fumeo. I am not aware that Beaulieu has such facility.

--------------------
António C. Mota

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 17, 2012 07:43 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Antonio, I don't know about the Beaulieu,but the Fumeo has
a screw that had to be adjusted by stopping the machine and
opening the gate to do it,making the job rather tedious, until I
reversed it so that during projection like the Elmo it can be
adjusted during projection,something I'm suprised Fumeo didn't
do themselves.If like Paul says,that this model has a proper knob
that negates the use of screwdrivers,thats even better.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC