8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Uneven reversal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Uneven reversal
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 23, 2012 10:37 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just gotten The Pony Express for 10 pounds and it came on 3x400' ... However, there's huge gaps, ie the movie isn't tightly wound up. Is this the film, the projector or the reels fault? The reels appear unbalanced, so I expect it's those. But can the film cause this too?

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2012 04:10 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it was rewound on a projector that didn't really hold any tension. I normally rewind on the bench so I can maintain some tension for a fairly tight wind on the reel.

Bill [Smile]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 23, 2012 04:21 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought my ST-1200 would wind it up properly, but it was just the same after running the film on my projector. Maybe I should try on my editor. Thanks

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2012 05:16 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar, this is very common with old films. You need to use a pair of rewinds or an editor to get a tight rewind.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 23, 2012 05:25 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so it won't help with new reels?

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2012 08:29 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as your reels aren't warped, they're not the problem. Some films rewind just fine on the projector, and some don't.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 23, 2012 08:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar, for rewinding purposes, I bought a cheap projector and re-design only act as a rewinder. There is a small modification you need to do is to disengage the gear (the round thingy with teeth) for playing. I totally took out this gear. This will make your rewind even faster.

The projector is Minolta 7700 cost less than $100.

This will save your ST1200 from tear and wear because of rewinding plus you save the belts.

I knew manual rewinding with bench is much better but I don't have that much energy to do that plus my films are just the usual titles.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC