8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » WITCHFINDER GENERAL- RESTORATION

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WITCHFINDER GENERAL- RESTORATION
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 14, 2013 01:49 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always been at a loss as to why Walton Films,who I have
great respect for,chose to play about with the titles on the film
"Witchfinder General".The end titles are placed up front, and the
end is the Walton logo.Very poor, and I wasted no time in telling them.So after many years, I finally tracked down the German
version, both extracts,that contained the prologue with the
old lady hanged as a witch, that leads nicely into the main title,
and the axe hacking end, that has some wicked blows that no
doubt John Trevelyan thought we should'nt see, this is a short
sequence, but does add to the impact.I was fortunate a couple of years ago when given a lot of film etc,that there was three spools of "Witchfinder", and the previous owner had placed the
end titles in the proper place,so these were transposed to my
print, and as soon as I've rerecorded the end music, it should
be as close to the complete feature as possible,except for a
scene in the Tavern,when Hopkins tells Stearne that the old
priest must hang and Stearne laughs, in the German cut, there's a wench topless,in the English cut he is alone,there's
no cutaway so I can't include it, but does prove that versions
were made for export.

|  IP: Logged

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2013 08:54 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh - I did the same thing... tracked down the German release and spliced in the witch hanging prologue. The unfaded Walton prints are as good as super 8 ever got as far as color/ contrast... but their editing was very odd. Their Twins of Evil is masterfully cut-down - the edits are hardly noticable (and the print is way better than Derann's uncut and very dark feature), but their Vampire Circus is horrid. How they could cut out the "Tiger Lady Dance" and leave all the talking scenes between the mother and daughter is really hard to grasp. Oh well, at least they had good taste in what films to put out at the time!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 15, 2013 06:59 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when features of Deranns "Twins" & "Circus" came
out, one dealer warned me off saying "if you've got the Walton
features, stay with them, at least you can see whats going on".
The nicest colour feature I felt was their "Years B.C." which had
perfect contrast and colour,retained all the key scenes and had
beginning and end titles complete, only missing the creation prologue.I haven't experienced any fade in any of their titles yet
Brian and I hope yours are the same.The almost companion piece to "Witchfinder" was "Satan's Skin", which Derann did,
managed to keep all the front and end titles,but missed the
very important beginning and seduction scene, the running
time was a stingy 60 minutes or so, and could easily have accommodated them.Sometimes I wonder what criteria dictate
the editing of some of these films,as it is annoying when key
scenes are left out of so called feature length editions.I wonder
if there might be a foreign edition of this somewhere?

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 15, 2013 07:51 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the dealer's point about 'Twins' and 'Circus' I know the dark scenes in the former looked rather murky in the Derann print, although perhaps the daytime scenes were better as these are a bit over-exposed in my Walton print. However, he was wrong about 'Circus' as I can't really fault the Derann print apart from a few minor negative flaws. Walton editing could be annoying, such as when the vampire twin approaches the female victim chained in the castle and they cut just as she's about to...

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC