8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 part manufacture

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 part manufacture
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 18, 2013 06:44 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having eventually located some new spares for the Elmo GS1200 a couple of us are looking into having new like for like parts manufactured subject to demand/interest and costing. I have a question for those more versed on the inner working of the GS as to what would users say are the parts which fail most often? Once we have collated this we will look further into the costing to see if its viable. We would not be looking at motors but other mechanical parts.

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2013 11:49 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claw and claw arm pin;

Pinch roller support
Main & smaller pinch rollers (the rubber tends to harden)
Sound pressure pads
Black plastic lever/tensioner placed beteween sound heads and back sprocket drum: it wears at the edges, due to the soundtracks, thus losing the correct shape and causing scratches to the film base

LESS NECESSARY;

film gate and film pressure shoe

My toppence.

--------------------
Maurizio

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 18, 2013 01:06 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea! Certain guides would be useful, although it would be interesting to know if anyone with the expensive one that Wittner offer in metal has been using it for a few years and can comment on the wear (or lack of).

Input from Bill Parsons and any other experienced Elmo repair people would obviously be useful and could help keep down costs, if they wished to order any produced. It's worth keeping in mind that certain parts are common to other Elmos, so there would also be demand from non-GS owners.

One pertinent point is: are there ANY GS parts that are still easy to obtain and there's no immediate shortage of? If so, it would be useful to know in order to rule out them out.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 18, 2013 05:06 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think the most important part on the projector to get
replacements for, would be the soundheads.I have just put in
the final replacement on my own GS, by the removal of the plastic
part that is the snubber for leveling sound,I replaced the plastic
that had started to wear with a nylon roller salvaged from an old video recorder which works great, making the total of eight
rollers fitted throughout the track system (salvaged from old
projectors) ensuring scratch free projection.Although I can
understand anyone who hasn't modified,would need new plastic
track.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 18, 2013 05:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Hugh that the sound head is the most important replacement item.
Here is my list in order of priority:

1. Soundhead (new or re-furb)

2. The small plastic re-wind gear (subject to cracking)

3. Claw cam and pin (subject to wear)

4. Main drive belt

Just about everything else can be worked around.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2013 08:25 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, i have the gear's you speak of paul that keep cracking , i had some made local to me in birmingham , however the cost of one gear was not practical so i had 13 or so made just need the roller bearing in these for back rewind or front.Its a thread that keep's coming around about spare's , i did offer these to forum member's but excuse's as to how compatable these would be with the plastic gear were raised and in my opinion unfounded.Providing the gear is manufactured correctly there's no reason at all that this would damage the plastic gear's.This was run by bill at the time and he was happy to use one in a repair he was doing at the time on a gs1200 .I think the motor's would be a useful avenue to explore, i feel sure there must by now be a compatable motor for the takeup maybe a motor from a battery drill? there's plenty of them around that could be modified .Just doing one gear would be treated as one off, a prota type if you will and would be very expensive to do , as long as enough genuine interest is shown by the forum members a quote could be got.I would do that here in brum to start the ball rolling if that help's you.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 19, 2013 08:35 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everyone for your input. I was told by a forum member that a suitable motor for rewind and take-up was already obtainable within the UK. It would be mainly guides and gears we would be looking at just to be clear.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2013 05:43 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth bearing in mind that the Sankyo 702 and 800 models both have the same sound heads as the GS 1200. The motor in both models is also the same as the main motor in the GS 1200.

Whilst I'm not advocating scrapping a good Sankyo in order to repair a GS 1200 ( I use my Sankyos in preference to my GS 1200 when I don't need 1200ft reel capacity and/or optical sound) it would be worth picking up a scrap machine to salvage those parts.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 19, 2013 05:49 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats worth knowing Mike. Well done.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC