8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Hammer's Phantom Color?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hammer's Phantom Color?
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2013 06:54 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking through an old article in "Film for the Collector" I found a reference to Powell films released Hammer's Phantom of the Opera as a 4 X 400' feature in super 8 sound/color. I have never seen a color print and wonder if anyone else has over the years... I'd hate to spend my life looking for something that doesn't exist!

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 20, 2013 07:19 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian, I've never heard of a colour copy of the film,I have the
5x400 B/W std 8mm print, there was a 400' b/w version.Looking
through some of the old "Movie Maker" mags,there's no ref
to a version in colour.Even the hire catalogues only had B/W
prints for hire.It might exist in a foreign version.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2013 07:29 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I thought. I have the super 8 black and white feature and digest but in the "History of Hammer Horror" article in Film for the Collector it reports that in the early 70's Powell re-released Phantom in Super 8 and in color after the earlier 8mm black and white release. But it's probably just mis-information.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 20, 2013 08:27 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
The only colour Hammer feature I can recall in the early '70s,before the
4x400's from DFS, was the 5x400 "Evil of Frankenstein" on
std 8mm. but one thing I've learned in this hobby is just when
you don't expect it, it suddenly appears.There could be a print
from Germany or Italy in circulation.It just seems strange that
I have never heard of one, and I subscribed to MM, plus all the
film lists and catalogues from various dealers incTony Powell.
There might have been an American release we didn't know of.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 20, 2013 09:38 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also assume it was a mistake although I expect there was a 4 x 400' b/w Super 8 version as well as the 400', which I have. It makes me wonder if perhaps Powell had a b/w master, considering they released 4 x 400' Super 8 colour versions of 'Blood From the Mummy's Tomb' and 'Hands of the Ripper', with the latter also sold as a 400'. I'm not sure if there were other (non-Hammer) colour films that they released only in b/w.

At least CHC released the trailer in colour!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC