8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Dual 8 Movie Editors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dual 8 Movie Editors
Patrick Casey
Junior

- posted March 10, 2013 04:48 AM      Profile for Patrick Casey   Email Patrick Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!

Having recently discovered these wonderful little machines (thanks Janice) I was hoping I might find out which of them are worth looking out for - in terms of picture/build quality etc. - there certainly seem to be a few going on ebay but I would want to make sure I'm buying a decent one. Any opinions on the Hanimex E300? There seem to be loads of them up for sale cheap which is making me a tad suspicious.

As an aside, is it particularly difficult to find/replace reels? Are they a universal size for std/super 8? It appears a lot of listed editors come without them and I wouldn't want to get stuck that way.

Thanks for you help!

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2013 08:47 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The elmo 912 editors handle both formats and all you have to do is turn a knob a 1/4 turn for one or the other and your set you will need an adaptor for 8mm and super 8 reels, I have not had any problems with mine. there a re a few on ebay onow.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELMO-912-DUAL-TYPE-EDITOR-/160983222411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257b59088b
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELMO-Dual-8-movie-Editor-912-Original-box-/330882619356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0a2417dc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELMO-DUAL-EDITOR-912-/380593937149?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589d2a9afd

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Patrick Casey
Junior

- posted March 10, 2013 09:35 AM      Profile for Patrick Casey   Email Patrick Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The elmo 912 editors handle both formats and all you have to do is turn a knob a 1/4 turn for one or the other and your set you will need an adaptor for 8mm and super 8 reels, I have not had any problems with mine. there a re a few on ebay onow.
What do you mean it needs an adapter? Does the stock need to be exposed in order to use it with the editor? What I mean is, will I need to take apart the film and fit it to a reel in order to go through the footage? Thanks.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2013 12:43 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The adapter is so that you can use Super 8 reels and Regular 8mm reels. Super 8 reels have a larger hole in the center. the adapter slides over the shaft where the reel mounts. You remove it to use Regular 8mm reels.

The Elmo 912, Vernon 808, Bolex V-180 Duo,Argus Dual Eight 2808 and others were all made in Japan by Sansei Koki and all use the same hardware. The look of the housing is the only real difference. They are all good editors and several of them also share the same mounting bracket for accessories like a frame counter, film cleaner or sound head.

Here is a good web site with information on them: Super 8 Data

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2013 03:56 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I agree with Jim about Elmo Editors, I've had a standard 8/ super 8 one for over 30 years and it's never given me the slightest trouble in all that time. MIKE

Patrick Casey
Junior

- posted March 11, 2013 04:51 AM      Profile for Patrick Casey   Email Patrick Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great. I'll keep an eye out for an Elmo (with adapters). Thanks for the help guys!

EDIT: Actually, another (very important!) question I had regarding the operation of these machines: How exactly do you mount the film onto the editor? I'm assuming you would need to take apart the (for example) Ektachrome 100D box and then load it onto the spools but would this not present an issue in terms of exposing the film to light? Thanks.

[ March 11, 2013, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: Patrick Casey ]

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2013 10:44 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Patrick, With regard to your last question. It would appear that their is some confusion regarding the Super 8 film you wish to edit. You edit film AFTER it has been exposed in the camera and returned to you after processing. It should be returned on a small spool which will fit direct onto the viewer/ editor spool arms. If it is returned without a spool you will have to wind it on to one. If you are looking for an editor, they are often available from our u.k. dealers or at cfilm collectors fairs. e.g the Group 9.5 spring fair at Pimlicoor Keith Wiltons October Film Collectors convention at Ealing. Ken Finch. [Smile]

Patrick Casey
Junior

- posted March 11, 2013 12:25 PM      Profile for Patrick Casey   Email Patrick Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah I see! Thanks for clearing that up! Still, no less an invaluble tool. With regards to the UK dealers you mentioned, as it seems a lot of the good editors I could see are being sold on US EBay w/o international shipping, is there anywhere I can get further information online? I'm normally based up in Aberdeen so I can't say I'd be particularly able to attend the conventions unfortunately. Cheers.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2013 03:42 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using a HANIMEX E310 dual 8 editor since the 1970s. Much better than the ELMO 912 in my opinion....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Patrick Casey
Junior

- posted March 12, 2013 04:39 AM      Profile for Patrick Casey   Email Patrick Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input Joe, I'll look out for one! Cheers.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC