8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Spindle help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spindle help
David Hollandsworth
Junior

- posted July 05, 2013 06:44 PM      Profile for David Hollandsworth   Author's Homepage   Email David Hollandsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I have film on some 7" 8mm reels and they will not slide onto the supply spindle! Are they supposed to be that tight or am I missing something? Thanks...

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 05, 2013 07:03 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave

Can you post a couple of photos?

PatD [Wink]

David Hollandsworth
Junior

- posted July 05, 2013 07:21 PM      Profile for David Hollandsworth   Author's Homepage   Email David Hollandsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife went out of town with the camera. All I can say is that these metal reels are very, very close to fitting but I cannot get them to go completely on the spindle unless I use brute force... and if I do I'm afraid I'll break the spindle trying to take them off later. Odd... This link shows a reel exactly like the ones I have.

http://www.terrylagler.com/8mm/viewitem.php?productid=53

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2013 09:02 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David, The reels in the link you gave are regular/standard 8mm. You are trying to put them on a regular 8mm machine, right?

--------------------
Joe Taffis

David Hollandsworth
Junior

- posted July 05, 2013 09:18 PM      Profile for David Hollandsworth   Author's Homepage   Email David Hollandsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume so. This is a Bell & Howell combo regular/Super projector. The take up reel spindle is larger and the supply smaller. But these reels just don't quite slide on.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 06, 2013 03:30 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dual gauge projectors usually have a supply spindle to accept Regular/Standard 8 spools. For Super 8 a slip-on adaptor is supplied.

Check the spindle to see if it has an adaptor which should just pull off to reveal the smaller spindle.

As you say, the projectors only have a Super 8 take-up spindle, so Super 8 spools must be used for take-up regardless of the fact that the film could be either type.

--------------------
Maurice

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2013 04:25 AM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way David is describing it sounds like a projector correctly set to take a standard 8 reel but the reel is just too tight.
I have encountered this in the past with metal reels and plastic (presumably more modern) spindles - often the plastic feed spindle is the type designed to accept standard 8 and super 8 without changing parts (favoured by Bauer and Silma).
Rather than forcing the reel on, I would suggest re-spooling the film onto a spare reel using an editor

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 06, 2013 05:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John may be right. The standard/regular 8 spool shown is metal so I suppose a gentle bit of filing may do the trick.

--------------------
Maurice

David Hollandsworth
Junior

- posted July 06, 2013 07:32 AM      Profile for David Hollandsworth   Author's Homepage   Email David Hollandsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely have to use an adapter when mounting a super 8 reel on the supply side. So... I think the filing idea is what I'll have to do on these 4 reels. Thanks everyone! I may get to watch a film yet! [Smile]

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2013 11:05 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a Dremel tool you can do the job in a few minutes with the right grinding bit.

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2013 03:33 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't let any filings near your precious films/projectors

David Hollandsworth
Junior

- posted July 08, 2013 02:55 PM      Profile for David Hollandsworth   Author's Homepage   Email David Hollandsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
right! managed to file one down enough to play. yay!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC