8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Making text in-camera on 8mm for movie title (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Making text in-camera on 8mm for movie title
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2013 03:38 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks nice Steve; unfortunately with Matthew's camera it doesn't have a zoom lens, and at the moment focusing down to around 2 feet or so is not close enough.

I will remember your tip for when I shoot any more film, better than messing about with plastic letters.

|  IP: Logged

Matthew Smith
Junior

- posted August 22, 2013 05:09 AM      Profile for Matthew Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique De Bast : I have this toy 8mm projector which I cannot use which I thought about using its lens, but I know very little about the science of how lens optics work, so I have no idea if I could possibly use it to improvise a close up lens, but I may try once I've used up my first film.

Steve Klare: thanks for the details. Like Robert said though unfortunately I cannot focus so near, though it could work if I had a very large printer. Though since films are old fashioned technology I would like to keep it as low-tech as possible, using print outs or lcd screens for the title would seem wrong somehow. If I can I plan to test some magnifying glass lenses I have lying around to see if I can diy a close up/portrait lens though. You got an extremely sharp image though.

Edit: I have now seen close up lenses on ebay, the one says "to fit Lens Mounts 22- 25mm" and the other "to fit lens mounts 22.5 – 25.5mm" - the diameter of the thread on my camera's lens is about 23mm, Though it says these are push on so they would not be threaded, if they fit well then I could manually attach them somehow when using them, I wonder.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 22, 2013 05:17 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the focal length of the lens that may still work. Barring that the thing to do would be to print on a larger sheet, but that depends on what kinds of printers are available.

-I can print up to 3 feet on a side, but my boss would get pretty torqued off about that, so I keep it at home!

"You're making titles for WHAT?!!"

Years ago this process caused me to find a camera that was friendlier to it.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Matthew Smith
Junior

- posted August 22, 2013 05:23 AM      Profile for Matthew Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
haha, yes I cannot do such sizes but I could print out the letters and cut them out and put them on a large white/black surface to get the same effect, though it would be more time consuming. Yes the camera is not ideal and I would love more functions, but I inherited it so it means a lot to me and the movies I have seen which were shot using the camera look more then good enough for me.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2013 05:48 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew, if you can reduce the focus to half (1 foot) that would probably be OK. I used to use close up filters on my 35mm SLR for copying photos, etc, but focussing was critical. My Super 8 camera, which I don't use now, focuses down to 2 inches.

I once bought a 2nd hand Standard 8 camera which turned out to be faulty, but I wanted to try my hand at single frame trickery. I shot a roll of Kodachrome and the colour seemed better than my Super 8 camera, must have been something to do with the inbuilt orange filter. I have a Bolex B8SL, boxed, which I bought about 4 or 5 years ago, and put a B&W film inside and never got around to using it. Need to do it while the weather is still reasonable, and hope the film is OK.

Matthew Smith
Junior

- posted August 22, 2013 06:06 AM      Profile for Matthew Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok thanks. After reading an obscure kodak user guide book I may have found close up lenses for the camera on ebay.

The two films I got are also black and white, I am also waiting for a sunny day for shooting as they are very slow. I might try push processing the second one and seeing what the results are like since they are cheap but a bit slow, I want more around iso100 at least ideally though, and I think thats too far to push since they are about iso6.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2013 06:40 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew, have a look at this website, they have Kodak telephoto convertors that fit the Brownie. Don't know anything about them, maybe you do.
http://www.camcentre.co.uk/stock-list-cine-equipment-i-10.html?phpMyAdmin=zAm8dwhDoWL7060EJXYcsdaZdmc

Matthew Smith
Junior

- posted August 22, 2013 06:53 AM      Profile for Matthew Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I think I've stumbled onto that website in the past but they do not seem to have any kodak lenses in stock, thanks though. I did find one on ebay, I can't get it right now but it looks like a good option, as the book I read recommends no.250 lenses for the specific model II that I have, so it looks like a perfect match. Its apparently "good" condition, but hard to tell from the photograph, reasonably cheap though so hopefully it is truly in good condition if I end up getting it.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 22, 2013 09:21 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need to shoot the titles with the filmstock you will use for the film. You can wait until the next film (when you will buy another filmstock which will be faster) and then splice the titles. A film takes time to be made, the purpose is not to see it once it is shoot, it is to keep it for many years. About the size of the titles, there is also the (not ideal) solution of printing them with your printer and to enlarge with a photocopier in a shop. Of course, that will cost and there is a risk of loosing quality (not to mention it can only be done in black and white to have acceptable results).

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 22, 2013 10:06 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I came up with the method above I messed around with printing really small fonts (4 point?) on transparent printer film and then sandwiching the film on a 35M slide, projecting the slide on a screen and filming this image.

It was complicated, expensive (as in a whole roll of 35mm slide film just for title backgrounds), I was stuck hauling along a second camera, the quality was unreliable and the results were no better than "nice". I did this only once.

-but a lot of the fun of this is experimenting and improving.

Strange: if you go through my digital still camera you keep finding shots of the sky surrounded by trees or lakes with forests at the edge.

-Not great photographs but wonderful backgrounds for movie titles.

--------------------

Matthew Smith
Junior

- posted August 23, 2013 11:33 AM      Profile for Matthew Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique De Bast : Ok.

Steve Klare : yes, also if it was possible to print incredibly small letters you could print onto those transparent sheets, push it over where the negative gets exposed in the camera and just expose the camera to light to create sharp easy text effects, but you cant print so small. I have seen like on the movie nekromantik clearly handwritten text in the film but they must have used a specific device or machine for that since they must have had a bigger budget and good equipment even though it was pretty low budget.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 23, 2013 01:12 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you start to run into when you print as small as I did is even with a laser you are running up against the resolution of the printer. (-and this was to cover a 35mm frame, never mind 8mm.)

The print gets a little odd looking: corners become rounded and lines aren't uniformly thick. Looking at it with the naked eye it looks fine, but then you blow it up a few thousand times and it's not so good!

How I fixed this on the one film I did is describe it as "the natural outcome of the artistic process" and swear to myself never to do that again!

Titling is about the least rewarding part of making a film, the lights are hot, the opportunities to mess up are abundant and it's genuine work

The best you can say for it is what doesn't work out at least you can try again!

Shooting film is much more fun! All you need to do to prove this is look at the roughly 5 films I have unfinished right now, some of 'em at least 5 years old too.

[ August 23, 2013, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Matthew Smith
Junior

- posted August 26, 2013 09:15 AM      Profile for Matthew Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see, thanks.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC